Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How long can you....... >

How long can you.......

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How long can you.......

Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long can you.......

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

On both of my Horton's there was plenty of times I would go out for the sunrise hunts and come home for the afternoon and then go back out for a evening hunt and leave cocked all day with no problem. There was a few times I even got in a hurry and left it in the truck cocked over night when I was trying the drive home and shoot into the target trick. But now that I have a rope cocker I uncock every time with no problem. It even works on my super max with the one Horton sells. You have to use a Horton rope cocker with a Horton because a Excal style will interfere with the safety when cocking. Anyone who has never used a rope cocker to uncock with has no idea how easy it is and what they are missing.
Jason, showed a few Horton guys how to use an Excal type rope cocker to both cock and uncock, trick is ya gotta put the hooks on upside down to clear the safety. On uncocking, you have to be double careful as you have gravity w/ upside down hooks to deal w/ but still can be easliy and safely done, if you pay close attention. Fwiw.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks
Jason, showed a few Horton guys how to use an Excal type rope cocker to both cock and uncock, trick is ya gotta put the hooks on upside down to clear the safety. On uncocking, you have to be double careful as you have gravity w/ upside down hooks to deal w/ but still can be easliy and safely done, if you pay close attention. Fwiw.
Upside down! Your a day late friend!! Why did that not come to my mind? I suddenly have the desire to go to dads and cock my Horton!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

ORIGINAL: buckbomb711

alright this may be a crazy question but if it is cocked all day long then you dont have the opporunity to harvest an animal how do you un cock it without it dry firing????????????????????????
I am old school. I just use my hands to uncock the bow. It is just like hand cocking the bow, but in reverse, usung the thumb from one hand to release the trigger while pulling back on the string to remove the pressure, then let it down by hand. Easy after awhile.
Tom, you shoot a 150# Relayer, correct? Try that w/ my Emax and you'll change your user name to "Stretch" lol. W/ rope cocker, even it's a piece of cake!
Now that is real funny. Yes I shoot the Relayer which is 150lb, but my dad has the Exomag and we are both old school. I have cocked and un-cocked his bow many times. Your correct, I have not shoot the exomax, actually do not have the desire to do that. Now my dad just started to use the Rope Cocker 2 years ago, but up until then, it was old school like me, ................ well he is 76 years old right now and still does it old school when he misplaces the rope cocker when hunting.

It is all techinque in the old school method.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ya bunch of babies! In the old days I used to grab the string of my 165lb Exocet with both hands and flip the trigger with my thumb and ease it down. We didn't have any sissy rope cockers or didn't shoot an arrow. Just the real man's way! And there was no complaining or whining! Well maybe we didn't know any better! Didn't even have a groove for a rope cocker! When men were men and probably a few teeth went missing, LOL!
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta share this story. That black Vixen Smoke has used to belong to another friend of mine, who actually turned me onto Excals. Some of you have seen the pic of him w/ 3 mounts, all over 170. [2 xbow, 1 m/l]. He was over here after I got my Emax and not being the sharpest arrow in the quiver, he assumed my new Excal [Emax] was the same as his Vixen. He "showed"me how to let the string down "the old way". You should have seen the look on his face when he stopped it from hitting the concrete floor by mere inches, lol. We had a saying when I worked construction for 20 plus years. Some one was always saying, "Well, we usta have one of those" or "We always usta do it this way", The saying was "Usta died", lol.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

GT, the brand was Barnett. Thanks for all the info guys, especially about the decocking with rope cocker.

Scott Woody
Old 12-14-2007, 05:58 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

wow...

I guess I'm with the "old days" guys, I uncock my phoenix by hand all the time, IMO theres nothing to it, I think its actually pretty easy...

the latch wont lock because of it being torqued off center tothe side but I have no problemsat all pulling the string all the way back to the stop with one hand...
I havent tried because I think releasing it like thatwould be too rough onthestring/trigger to be worth trying, butif it wasnt for that I wouldnt be afraid to uncock it one-handed either...

but then again I've worked construction all my life and hit the gym every other day so that probably plays a pretty big part in why I'm able to do that...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Real hunters can cock and uncock an Exomag by hand. Nothing to it.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Some of us old cranks use cranks to load and unload. You young guys have more strength and stamina than I do.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gimphunter

Some of us old cranks use cranks to load and unload. You young guys have more strength and stamina than I do.
LOL

Actually you should use what is best for you to keep it fun and safe. To be honest, when I first started with crossbows (close to 30 years ago) I was scared of loading and espically unloading the bow. But I was shown the Tech and then it was not that difficult at all. Very little of the cocking of the bow is done with your arms, it is mostly all legs, the strongest part of your body (well for most people).

But do it any way you feel comfortable with and stay safe.

Quick Reply: How long can you.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.