Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How long can you....... >

How long can you.......

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How long can you.......

Old 12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long can you.......

keep a crossbow cocked????? I have a Horton Realtree HD 175. What is the maximum amount of time that it can be cocked?????? Reason I ask, I saw on another crossbow brands web site that it said the max. time was 4 hrs. and then you needed to wait at least 30 minutes before you recocked it. Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long can you.......

ORIGINAL: lswoody

keep a crossbow cocked?????....................................... ....Reason I ask, I saw on another crossbow brands web site that it said the max. time was 4 hrs. and then you needed to wait at least 30 minutes before you recocked it. Thanks, Scott Woody
I would be very interested in knowing the brand that says that. I am not famiular with your brans, but with an Excalibur it can be cocked at sunrise and left that way until dark. This should be the norm with a quality bow.

I honestly would be very warry with a bow that I could not lear cocked for the longer periods. To me, it is telling me that the limbs are under way to much pressure and have to have a rest period.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Spike

alright this may be a crazy question but if it is cocked all day long then you dont have the opporunity to harvest an animal how do you un cock it without it dry firing????????????????????????
Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You either shoot a field tipped arrow in the ground, or do like i do and use my rope cocker to release the string!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckbomb711

alright this may be a crazy question but if it is cocked all day long then you dont have the opporunity to harvest an animal how do you un cock it without it dry firing????????????????????????
A. Fire a good arrow into a target.
B. Fire a junk arrow into the ground
C. Use a rope cocker to uncock [easier than it sounds]

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM

On both of my Horton's there was plenty of times I would go out for the sunrise hunts and come home for the afternoon and then go back out for a evening hunt and leave cocked all day with no problem. There was a few times I even got in a hurry and left it in the truck cocked over night when I was trying the drive home and shoot into the target trick. But now that I have a rope cocker I uncock every time with no problem. It even works on my super max with the one Horton sells. You have to use a Horton rope cocker with a Horton because a Excal style will interfere with the safety when cocking. Anyone who has never used a rope cocker to uncock with has no idea how easy it is and what they are missing.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

I am old school. I just use my hands to uncock the bow. It is just like hand cocking the bow, but in reverse, usung the thumb from one hand to release the trigger while pulling back on the string to remove the pressure, then let it down by hand. Easy after awhile.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I must be a wimp.. I wouldn't dream of trying to hold the string of my Excal and pulling the trigger..I have a hard enough time doing it with my Daco, still scares the crap out of me.
I only cocked it by hand once too, then I was too sore to go shoot anything.
Rope cocker on, rope cocker off for me.. Wuss.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

I am old school. I just use my hands to uncock the bow. It is just like hand cocking the bow, but in reverse, usung the thumb from one hand to release the trigger while pulling back on the string to remove the pressure, then let it down by hand. Easy after awhile.
Tom, you shoot a 150# Relayer, correct? Try that w/ my Emax and you'll change your user name to "Stretch" lol. W/ rope cocker, even it's a piece of cake!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

Tom, you shoot a 150# Relayer, correct? Try that w/ my Emax and you'll change your user name to "Stretch" lol. W/ rope cocker, even it's a piece of cake!
Thats what I was thinking. I used to uncock my 175# Horton sometimes, but did not really like to do it that way, would not even want to attempt the Vortex. Had the Horton "slip" out of my fingers once! The tips of my fingers hurt until the next day!!

Quick Reply: How long can you.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.