Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My son wants a crossbow for Christmas and I need some help! >

My son wants a crossbow for Christmas and I need some help!

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My son wants a crossbow for Christmas and I need some help!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default My son wants a crossbow for Christmas and I need some help!

I am looking at the Exocet 200 for him. He is 14 but 6 feet tall and 190 pounds so the draw shouldn't be any trouble for him. I hunt with a bow and know nothing about crossbows but need to get it ordered for Christmas. We hunt deer and turkey from a ground blind or tree and don't walk far but still would like a fast light bow for him. He has hunted with a bow for several years but wants to try the crossbow.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My son wants a crossbow for Christmas and I need some help!

That is a good bow and I do not think it would be much of a problem for him. Even if he did have difficulty cocking the bow, a Rope Cocker would work great, it reduces the power needed to cock the bow by 50%.

What problems or questions do you have.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

no problems just don't know which brand, compound or recurve, or assesories he will need to hunt this year. Can he shoot his old broadheads (Muzzys) or will he need new? I am clueless when it comes to these thing as only a few of my buddy use them. I had a Barnett Revolution when I was recovering from a rotator cuff tear but only shot it about1 1/2months. I sold it and went back to my bow as soon as I was able. It did the job as I took 2 deer with it that season. Nothing aginst xbows I just like my bow better. It was far from quiet even with it loaded with Simms stuff. How are the xcal's on noise? how far will they carry there K.E.?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Any crossbow will be nosy. But in general, recurves will be more quiet.

Both crossbows, compounds and recurves, have their pro's and con's. But with crossbows, the bow holds the string back at full draw so the largest advantage of let-off, whixh is assoiated with compounds, is not needed. OTher then that there are minor advantages, a little narrower. the disadvantages could be large. They have more moving parts, so more possibilites or malfunction, and if so, you will more then likely need a proshop for repairs. A recurve is very user friendly. You can change strings in the field in less then 5 minutes. Most all work can be handled by yourself. Recurves are wider, but usually lighter as well, better ballanced too.

IF you choose the Excalibur, for a starter or biginner, I would recomend the packages that the company sells. It is all good parts and well needed for a biginner.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Excal Is a fine brand. I have the Vortex, which is the same as the Exocet, just with a thumb hole stock, I love mine and it would make a fine CB for your son. Recurve is a bit wider, but I like freedom from a shop and not needing a press to do my own work. The top end Horton's are fine andSome guys on here seem to be pretty happy with Parker also. Not going to whip on B-Net, but they have had a pretty unstable company this last year so that would make me want to stay away from them. But I like my Excal alot and alot of guys on here like them to. As far as B-Heads go, well if you have been shooting regular bows for a while that is aquestion only your or his bow can answer. Some shoot them just fine and others do not, that isjust plain B-Head tuning. They may work, you will just have to try and see. A lot of guys also like the slick tricks out of the Excal's. Good luck and keep usup on what you do for him.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom
IF you choose the Excalibur, for a starter or biginner, I would recomend the packages that the company sells. It is all good parts and well needed for a biginner.
Good luck.
ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom
I think it would be best for him to choose his own accessories. Just too many personal choices that could be messed up on from scopes to arrows, and other things. I bet he will be here to the forum after christmas.
Come on Tom, your confusing me and CrissyK! LOL!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

That is very simple hotburn76. I would recomend him the same thing to start with the packages from Excalibur. But since she is not a hunter, and we do not have any idea as to what he would like for accessories, I suggested she let him choose his own, and if she wanted to add the accessiries, she could add a note to the bow saying that she would help with them after he decides what he wants. What scope would she get him, the lumizone, varizone, dropzone, maxizone, red dot (do not know the location where they live, some states have no magnafication law). Will he want carbon or alluminum arrows, just too much for her to choose.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Spike

I am also from Va, If you want a good crossbow try a Parker they are made in Va and have the best warranty I could find
The customer service is great. I have had some small problems but they were my fault. I have taken 2 bucks with
my Terminator 175 this year using Slick trick b-heads. Great bow for the money.