Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter >

Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

I owned an excal exocet. Im a smaller guy, and found the exocet was a little bit to long overall wich through the balance off. I ended up selling it and went down to the excal vixen and it fits perfect. I suggest before you buy one, make sure you handle it a bit, shoulder it and if you can take a few shots with it to feel if its for you.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for all the information. You all saved me a lot of time and expense. I went to the website for the Bowhunters Superstore...one word AWESOME !!! Incredible prices !!! I willtest a lot of different xbows at the local archery shops and then make my final decision.

1) Will 3D archery targets hold up to xbow bolts ?

2) Does this package have everything I need?

EX6650
Excalibur 2007 Right Stuff Crossbow Acces. w/ Multi-Range Scope, Realtree AP .
Price

Excalibur 2007 Right Stuff Crossbow Acces. w/ Multi-Range Scope, Realtree AP .
Accessory packages are a must for the hunter who wants it all. The "Standard Package" comes with "Vari-Zone" Multi-Range scope. Scope Mount, Scope Rings, Quiver Bracket, Excalibur 4-Arrow "Realtree Hardwoods" Quiver, Deck Wax, Excel String, Rope Cocking Aid, Crossbow Stringer, 6-Arrows w/Vanes and 6-100 gr.Target Points and 6-100 gr. Broadheads.

1:$249.95

MC2
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have never shot into a 3-D target but many do with crossbows. In Ontario Canada, there are many 3-D coarses that allow crossbows on a daily basis. I believe that the misinformation of that crossbows destroy tragets was only put forth to try and stop crossbows, not out of accurate information.

The Right Stuff package does have everything that you might or will need to be able to go out hunting. Now with the varizone scope, it is the same scope as the lumizone, but it DOES NOT HAVE THE LIGHTED RETICALS, it has the normal reticals, lines and chevrons for markers. Both scopes are great for crossbows.

I always recomend people that are just starting, and getting an Excalibur to get the Right stuff package because it has quality needed stuff for the basic hunter or shooter. BUt I would personally get my stuff seperately because I have used crossbows for a very long time and know exactly what I want. Even today, I see knew things and want to adjust what I have, like the Lumizone to replace my regular scope (I would even like the varizone over what I have). I have also just picked up some TRACER KNOCKS for my arrows (but have not tested them out of the bow yet). You see, you will be able to adjust what you use or have after you get use to the bow and you get to know what you actually what, but the RIGHT STUFF package is a great starting point for a biginner.

IF you would prefur the Lumizone over the Varizone scope, then I would put in the time and get things seperately.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like mine but should of bought the right stuff pac w/scope not the one with out.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of RS package for the following reasons:
1. get better performance out of slightly heavier arrows w/ more FOC
2. stock quiver mount under bow is always in the way
3. don't use dacron/excel strings
4. like Slick Tricks better than W.A.S.P's

That being my reasons, will say RS package will do all Excal claims it will. I've seen V-zones for $89 and L-zones for $119. BHSS has a store credit only policy on returns, btw.
it's a shame Danny Miller can't match Inet prices on xbows, but his prices on accessories are the cheapest anywhere, and his over the bow quiver mount is swell. If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't even carry the stock 357 gr Excal carbons. If you guys order just a bow and piece the rest together, don't forget a rope cocker and stringing aid! And for what it's worth, I bought my Phoenix from Danny, my Emax elsewhere, so I'm 50/50, lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did buy a dozen Miller arrows extra and a puller.....
Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

awshucks you just proved what I said above. You can tinker with your setup of arrows, but the factory arrows is more then accurate enough to be hitting one arrow inside another. I do not even put the quiver on the bow, I carry it in my pack. Strings and hunting heads are like talking about politics, everyone has has their own personal opinions and as long as your arrow/head is accurate, then there is no wrong choice.

MC2, I guess it will all depend on how deep you want to get into your bow (how much tinkering you want to do) before you purchase your bow and extras. IF you do not want to get too deep into it, with the Excalibur products, factory stuff will be more then enough to do the job. By the way, there are many people that just use off the shelf products with great results.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

awshucks you just proved what I said above. You can tinker with your setup of arrows, but the factory arrows is more then accurate enough to be hitting one arrow inside another. I do not even put the quiver on the bow, I carry it in my pack. Strings and hunting heads are like talking about politics, everyone has has their own personal opinions and as long as your arrow/head is accurate, then there is no wrong choice.

MC2, I guess it will all depend on how deep you want to get into your bow (how much tinkering you want to do) before you purchase your bow and extras. IF you do not want to get too deep into it, with the Excalibur products, factory stuff will be more then enough to do the job. By the way, there are many people that just use off the shelf products with great results.

Good luck.
Well, here's a few more views from the cheap seats, lol. An Excal w/ FFF string and minimum weight arrows is a high strung [no pun intended] tempormental, vibrating, noisy, twangy critter. Excal advises heavier weight arrows for game other than white tail. Since I hunt hogs and bear, I wanted a little heavier weight carbon arrow. Enter Danny Miller and his version at 431 gr [loss of only 15 fps] This is basically the same arrow 10 pt advises which says alot to me. I also found some snot like stuff for 3-D targets that works great but will have to look at label to tell ya what it is, lol.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I will be buying the Vortex and the Right Stuff package,but will be upgrading the scope to a Limizonefor an add'l $20thanks to Bow Hunters SuperStore.

Thanks for all the information. I'm sureI will posting many more novice questions once I get into it.

I guess now I have to figure out the best way to sell my Mathews Conquest 2 and all the accessories.

MC2

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM

You will be on the right path for sure. As you get in the grove you can play with stuff like arrows and tips and so on. The right stuff pack is good for a green guy and should help make things simple for you. When you get going keep us up to date on how you do and just ask, plenty of Excal guys in here helped me out and they have alot of good info if you ask.

Quick Reply: Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.