Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter >

Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Due to a car accident a few years ago, I will be happily but naively entering the new world of cross bow hunting after 12 years of vertical bow hunting. I have my permit from WI DNR.

I spoke with my local and very trusted archery shop about my options. He carries Parker, Bowtech and Excalibur. He strongly advised me to look at the Excalibur Vortex. I see Cabelas has the Vortexas well- $549.99 for the bow and $799.99 for the kit.
I'm not concerned with the cost so much as the quality, functionality and reliability. As I mentioned, I trust my archery shop, but since they are more informed abot vertical bows, I thought I would ask the experts on this site.

So any and all information about this bow or if you have another suggestion, please let me know?
I really don't want to go much higher than $850 if I can help it.

I also apologize in advanced for the ignorance of all future questions.

Thanks much,
Soon to be formerly Mathews Conquest 2

Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

2 things i enjoy are my Excal Vortex and my 10 point ProFusion...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both the Parker Terminator and the Vortex. Here's a simple rundown. Parker, compound, smaller, lighter, handles better, shoots great esp from stand or ground blind. Excal, bigger overall, harder to cock (50 lbs greater pull weight), recurve (simple to maintain, easy to restring). Accurate with the right bolts (mine likes 20'' Gold Tip Lazer IIs with 110 brass insert and 2" Blazers for vanes, shooting a 100 gr Slick Trick Mag BH. AWESOME ACCURACY and TERMINAL TERFORMANCE).
Both have great customer service. If I had to choose (glad I don't) it may well be the Excal.
Do try the trigger on the one you'll be buying. I brought the Exuinox home first but the trigger was harsh and to hard to cock. Taded back for Vortex. And try cocking it. At over 200 lb draw weight it can be a challenge to cock esp if you're short or your arm/back strength is compromised. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can not go wrong with Excaliber or 10 point. Excalliber has the lowest maintaince, 10 point has by far the best cocking system if you have to use a crank, or prefer to. I have both, I use the rope cocker with the exocet and the crank with the 10point. One of the good things about the crank is that you can cock it in a tree stand I need to be on the ground to use the rope cocker. Thereare other crank systems I have some of them, not to great compared to the Accudraw. Lee
Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Vortex earlier this year and I couldn't be more pleased. Simple to use and extremely accurate. If I were you, I would go to a local archery pro-shop and try to cock the Vortex with the rope cocker which reduces your effort by 50%.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys.
A few more bits of info/ questions:
1) I will be hunting almost exclusively from a treestand with the exception of hunting out of a turkey blind. So how hard will it be for me to cock the Excalibur compared to a Parker or Ten Point? I have the strength and ability to cock a bow initially after getting into my stand. The problem is drawing or cocking a bow after sitting still for long periods of time in cold (Wisconsin) weather.

2) Should I buy just the xbow and add bolts, broadheads, sights, cocking device etc. later or should I buy the xbow with the kit?

3) What about red dots vs. scopes?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Lets see if I can help you with some of your questions.

.......... Are Excaliburs dependable, I am using the same crossbow I bought over 23 years ago. Still as accurate today as it was when I bought it. The only things I had to do with it is replace one bolt and I did that in the field.

#1 ..... I do not know about the other bows then Excalibur, but it is not that difficult to cock even after sitting in the cold for a while, but in case, use the rope cocker and for excample, a 200 pound bow only requires 100 lbs to cock it (reduced from 200, by half).

#2 ....... IF your short on funds and need to go that way, then just purchase the bare minimum and add the other stuff later when you can, but if you can afford it, I would recomend to get the starters package (right stuff package with Excalibur) mostly because most manufactures have the experiance with what is needed to start and they will choose good quality stuff with their packages (packages are not boarderline quality stuff).

#3 ....... I have a red dot on my shotgun and a scope on the crossbow (not the varizone or limizone, they were not made when mine was bought) and I would recomend the scopes over the red dots. The scopes have more sighting points and will still work with your battery happens to die on you. But honestly, look though both and choose what you like best.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

I basically concur with GT. As far as cocking is concerned, you probably won't have many occasions to need to cock the crossbow for a second time. As I suggested earlier, go to your local pro-shop and try the rope cocker with the Vortex. That experience should answer your concerns about cocking. Also, Excal has a promotional CD for free that your pro-shop should have. Lots of good information on the CD.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 PM

GT has gave good info and others have to! Just shoot as many as you can before you buy and see what you think. Also you can go to the link I have at the bottom of this post and get a better price on the Excal. A lot of us guys on here have used them and they are great, some of the best net prices around. With all that said I also love my Vortex! It is a great CB to have and glad I have it!!

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/index.php

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Spike

I recently bourght an Excal Vortex from Bowhunters Superstore. It arrived within a week after my telephone order was submitted. I love the Vortex. Extremely accurate and reliable. The design is simple and free of all the cables and wheels of some CBs. I mounted the Excal LumiZone scope on it and it is a deadly combination. Within two weeks after receiving the CB I had taken two deer.

I highly recommend the Vortex. Have fun making a decision and shooting whatever you decide to buy.

Quick Reply: Excalibur Vortex for brand new X bow hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.