Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Think this is the problem? >

Think this is the problem?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Think this is the problem?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Think this is the problem?

I have a 2005 Horton Yukon XL 150#. My bolts are Horton carbons. When I shoot 100grn Thunderheads the arrow goes down and to the left. Not just a little. A lot. I even line up the vanes and BH blades. A buddy said I need to use 125 grn heads because the arrow spine is to stiff. What do you think? I want to use fixed blade heads. What is the fix?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Think this is the problem?

Where do your arrows hit with field tips? How are you ensuring that the string is not cocked to one side?( are you using a cocking device?)
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Dnk had a few good questions, but I have a few more. The more info we have, the better we might be able to help you with your problem.

Do all of your breadhead shots hit in the same location or do they vary in impact points. Did you check for wobbles in the broadhead (is it alined, tip of point on center axis of arrow).

IT could be the spine of the arrow being too stiff, but with crossbows, it is not usually a problem. One problem I had seen was with a thunderhead (also with two other heads) but only happened on windy days. The heads actually planed with the wind, but they did not hit same point of impact. If the tip of the head does not line up on the center axis of the arrow, it will also wonder, also will not usually hit the same point of impact either.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:05 PM

I don't know if combound xbows have to worry about this or not, but I use a Horton Legacy (recurve) and I need to make sure that the center serving is aligned correctly when cocked. If I don't have the same amount of serving coming out of both sides of the cocking mechanism, my bolts can move from side to side (opposite side of where the center serving is longest). I think what happens is there is more torque on one side of the bow and it forces the arrow in the opposite direction when released. As far as dropping, I don't see that unless the broadhead is not in line with the spine of the bolt (such as a bent tip or bent blade, or just off-center to begin with).

I would agree with GrumpyTom, if the bolts are impacting randomly, something is amiss with the balance of the bolt. Check the broadheads for true alignment or more subtly, possibly a loose blade in the broadhead.

Cheers!
MadOtis