Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Deer weening their young? >

Deer weening their young?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Deer weening their young?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer weening their young?

When do the does ween their young? The reason I am asking is because I seen 2 big does and a smaller one the night I got my doe. The little one didn't have any spots. But the deer I got had a very small amount of milk in her. Her tits didn't look like they had been recently used though. The smaller one that was with them already had a darker color. I'm not even sure it was from this year. Just curious. I've shot other does aroundthis time of year and have never seen that. It must take them quite awhile for it to dry up.

chris

I forgot to mention... The 2 does (one I got) where very large for does. The smaller deer with them was like the size a smaller button buck might be. That may make a difference determining what was going on with the group. I personally wouldn't shoot a doe if she had a small one with spots with her. (Even though it is legal here.) I think know you can even shoot one with spots. You used to not be allowed to.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Spike

Default RE: Deer weening their young?

The fawns, usually one or two in number, are dropped after a gestation period of approximately 7 months and hidden by the female for 10 days to 2 weeks. She goes several times daily to nurse them but as soon as they are strong enough to follow her about they do so. The spots are retained until the fawns molt in early fall by which time they are usually weaned.

It takes awhile for the does to have all their milk dissappear. We have taken some on up into the seasons, and the'll have some milk in 'em ......

Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best i remember depending when the fawns are born. They usually are fully weaned by Dec. They don't suck alot now maybe once a day. button bucks and their sister/s will have lost their spots and taking on their winter coats. In good feed and genetics fawns born may/june can weigh 75/100 lbs. by late nov.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The doe I shot last year was loaded with milk. I was able to milk near a pint out of her for the wifes coffee. It's good with chocolate syrup as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Planter

The doe I shot last year was loaded with milk. I was able to milk near a pint out of her for the wifes coffee. It's good with chocolate syrup as well.
I will never look at Chocolate Syrup and Coffe the same again!!!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Spike

They say time will take care of everything. Hope it's true. I pray that my mind don't think about this in the morning while I'm gulping down my coffee >>>>>
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol... sounds kinda different, but I'm sure it tastes good! at least in coffee...
Thanks for the answers and info. I appreciate it.

chris
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Seems like I remember this being hashed out in the Bowhunting forum a while back and several "experts" said they are weened in six to eight weeks. Not sure if that is right, but that is what a bunch of guys in there said. I know dogs are not deer, but mom starts to push lab pups away at eight weeks, and they sell they at eight weeks also. I have seen does field dressed after the rut and had a little milk left in them.

And John, where do you get your stuff? I can't even imagine how you come up with it! You must keep your wife on the edge! LOL!!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks John.....Even tho I take my coffee black as night,I will never look at it the same way,every time Iam at a dinner and se someone use milk/creamer in thier coffee deer milk will come into my mind then I will think...your wife must really lov ya.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are like cows, within reason they let their offspring suck. A Doe will only let them so long most are done by 6 months some at 5 months. Depends on how many fawns she had and how the chow is.