Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YOUNG DEER

Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Default YOUNG DEER

A GUY ON ANOTHER FORUM SAID HE PASSED ON A DOE HE DIDNT HAVE A SHOT AT TO SHOOT AT ONE OF TWO FAWNS WITH IT.

HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD DO THIS OR WOULD YOU SHOW PATIENCE TO GET A MATURE DOE/BUCK. WOULD ANYONE WAIT UNTIL THE SEASON NEARS END BEFORE TAKING A DEER THEY NORMALLY WOULNDT SO THEY CAN FILL THE FREEZER?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: YOUNG DEER

Patience, but it took some years to learn this.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot my share of doe's over the years.Racks are nice,but I hunt for the freezer.Never shot a fawn though.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think I would ever shoot a fawn. I go for mature does. Even though Ihave heard that the meat off of a fawn is more tender I would still go for a older more mature doe. Also, if you shoot a fawn you will not get as much meat for the freezer. By shooting a larger deer, you will get a lot more meat.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM

I must confess that I've shot a few youngsters. There is no better table fare. Now as I mature I don't shoot them, but I wouldn't look down on anyone who did. Large racks and trophies sure do feed the ego, but not necessarily the belly. Many folks hunt for food, I was once a freezer filler. My main goal was to provide meat. I still love venison, but Its not as much of a priority.

Also, I think its if no more inhumane to kill a wet doe and leave the youngsters to fend for themselves through the winter.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

My state has an extremely liberal antlerless limit for each county, and I like easy meat for my freezer.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can shoot lots of does in the areas I hunt & yes i have shot some fatter youngins. They are easy to butcher up and eatwell. I don't make it out to be some great feat. Most of the time I do shoot larger does, but in high population areas, any doe will do.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

How do you pass on a shot that you don't have?? Another thing is how big was the "fawn". Soon after losing their spots as a fawn I call them yearlings till they are on their on.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

There "could" be legitimate reasons for passing on a mature doe to shoot a yearling instead. A yearling will actually consume more food than a mature doe because they are still growing. If you have an over populated area and want to do everything you can to get things back in balance shooting a FEMALE yearling could be better than shooting a mature doe. The key would be to make sure you don't shoot a button buck instead of a female yearling.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Nope. Can't see shootin' a little one. I'm not suggesting its unethical - its just something I won't do.

Quick Reply: YOUNG DEER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.