Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Just Got Back

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just Got Back

from a UFFDA [United Foundation For Disabled Archers] in Southern Mo. I left early on the 11th, didn't have time to post prior, as Smoke broke down on his way here and I ran short of time. This was held at Ozark Mountain Outfitters, a true class act run by some great people. I got a hen turkey and made some interesting observations. 1st off, I wasted my money on a lit reticule scope. [L-zone]. If you can't see range finder, it's too dark to shoot, lol, imho. Next, I missed two deer, one at 32 yds and another at 30 yds. Both string jumped me. I was shooting my Emax, 431 gr arrows at 328 fps. I held too high on the 32 yder [mid body], but the 30 yder was about 5' from where I shot the turkey Sun a.m. I held about 4" above bottom of brisket, all shots were from a bench rest, and could not believe the rascals whipped me!! The 1st one at 32 yds, I was in a 16' tower blind and had agreed to let a camera man vidoethe hunt. I held mid body on a small spike that the owner of property asked us to thin out for him, figured the height of stand would even out the extra few yards. We could see the deer on the replay on big screen TV just barely beat the arrow. There was another deer behind the one I shot at and the camera man thought I hit it in foreleg. I was just sick, as I never saw the second deer, but when we found my arrow, it was clean, and later viewing of video confirmed a clean miss on both!! Whew!! Didn't feel so bad after that. Checked bow back at camp, it was dead nuts on. I told Mike [Smoke] when I got home this afternoon, I might as well sell the Emax if they are gonna string jump it. He reminded me that these deer are used to being shot at and probably can out do the Flying Walendas when it comes to acrobatics, lol. So, moral of the story, let em get as close as you can, don't think that just because you have a fast xbow you can tweak the ranges, can guarantee it won't work more than it will.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Just Got Back

Glad you had a good time, better luck next time though. Will any of your footage air on TV or be able to be seen anytime? Sounds like you had as much luck as Mike!!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a good time! Sorry about the missed deer, a good reminder that it can and does happen. Wish I had that problem!What string were you using Dan?

About that scope.. I find that when I turn mine on in low light it floods what good light was actually there in the first place, even on the lowest setting. It's a change of rectal color on a nice day, thats about it.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

David, I use nothing but Boo's FFF's. Yeah, it was a learning experience for me for sure. This was the first time I had shots on deer on a pay to hunt place. As you may well imagine, I've replayed these shots a bunch in my mind. In order to have hit either deer, I would have had to have held under them enough that if they didn't jump I'd have shot low. I can't bring myself to aim to miss, so to speak, so if I ever go back it will be under 20 yds for me. I've taken deer in the wild w/ both bows with the same shots, so can only assume they were more ready for me than I was for them, lol. Live and learn!

Jason, The video guy is supposed to send me a copy, it's got one small doe bedding down in corn field just out of range, a big doe staying away from tower stand, two spikes sparring and my missed shot. I'll send it to you to you tube here, if you like.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I was just telling a buddy yesterday who wants a Xbow about the speed of sound VS the speed of the arrow on even the fastest xbows.

Yes I can hit a target at 40 yards plus all day long but the target doesn't move or string jump.

His dad and friend were bow hunting last weekend and his buddy was using a xbow about 200 yards away. Said when the guy shot his xbow the sound scared the crap out of his dad and didn't know what it was.