Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Spitfires and crossbows -  HELP! >

Spitfires and crossbows - HELP!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Spitfires and crossbows - HELP!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Spitfires and crossbows - HELP!

I have switched back to a cross bow this year and just had an ugly thought (three days before archery season)

I will be shooting a 175 pound Horton Legacy, with just a touch more force than my 60 pound compound bow.

Will this cause my Spitfires to open prematurely? I have heard of it happening. I have had it happen with my compound, but chalked it up to defective heads. Its probably a little to late to make a change, but wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spitfires and crossbows - HELP!

From all i have heard they should work fine. I don't own any so i can't say fer a fact. Even if they do open they will fly like a Light B'Head.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spitfires and crossbows - HELP!

In a conversation (e-mail) which I had with the company that makes the SpitFire, this is what they told me.

In testing, the spitfire would not open earily right up the the speed of 450 fps. That they shot the head out of an air gun to test at the excessive speeds, even tested it frozen in mud, water ect with no failures. The only thing he did caution me on was the retaining clips in the head. That after 5 shots they did start to see the odd failure (early opening). They recomend replacing the clips after 5 shots, but with the praqctice blades, there is really no need to shoot your hunting setup.

Good luck and enjoy.