Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Question about broadhead accuracy ... >

Question about broadhead accuracy ...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question about broadhead accuracy ...

Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Spike

Default Question about broadhead accuracy ...

I am new to shooting a crossbow and have learned a lot on this forum.

I have my Horton Legand 175 with Excal Lumiscope sighted in at 20 yards and 30 yards with field tips. Many of you mention that your broadheads fly like your field tips. Are you saying they group as well as field tips or they hit the same point of impact as field tips?

I ask this question because my Muzzy MX-3 broadheads group well but 3 inches lower than field tips at 30 yards. Any replies will be helpful.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about broadhead accuracy ...

Don't worry about it if all of your broadheads have the same POI when the scope is adjusted.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Both.. Sometimes you get lucky and your combination of arrow/fletching/broadhead will hit the same POI as your field tip, other times they can group well but not with the same POI.. Same thing only different.
I am assuming that when you read that a broadhead is flying the same as a field point you are thinking that if you shoot a field point at the "X" then screw on a broadhead it would hit the same "X", life would be much easier if that were the case, but unfortunately it isn't. If your arrow and broadhead are a good combination you should be consistent, and "consistent" is often worded as "same"..
If you are shooting field points consistently at the same POI, then switch to broadheads and they hit the same POI then you arewell on your way.. However, one may be off a few inches from the other, consistency is the name of the game, once you get everything doing the same thing repeatedly you can make the proper adjustments.
Some guys do get lucky (or work real hard to obtain) a combination that requires no adjustment from tip to tip, but not everyone.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

I'm shooting the same bow as you but with the vari-zone scope. I was going to shoot G5 montacs last year, but they grouped 5 inches left and 2 down....tried some spitfires and they drill dead center with the field points. Four deer later (with impressive holes) and needless to say, I wont be switching from my spitfires anytime soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old carpenters saying, " if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"
Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

ditto what awshucks said. i've never had my broadheads hit the same poi as my field tips. if your broadheads group well you're way ahead of the game. good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 PM

What has been said is all good info! Can't add anything but more numbers to my post count! LOL!!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

To answer yer ? yes they mean the field tips and B'Heads are shooting same poi and groups! Once yer rig is tuned and sighted in and its an accurate CB. It will ruin yer arrows, points and B'Heads. Thats why i shoot only one B'head at an area at a time. I guess some of them get lucky and field tips and B'Heads do that. Mine never have. I guess i hold my mouth wrong. I have always had to resight my CB in when i swithed over to B'Heads. They never seem to go where field pts. did![&o]