Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead Accuracy >

Broadhead Accuracy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Accuracy

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default Broadhead Accuracy

Hi all! I'm new to bow hunting and have a question about broadheads. I'm shooting 100 grain field tips and thought I was dialed in pretty well. I was grouping within 3-4 inches around and in the center bullseye at 50 and 60 yds. At 20 to 40 yards, I was in or on the edge of the bullseye consistently.

Today I put on three broadheads and shot them for the first time. Wow! At 40 yds, I was a good 6-8 inches low and left. At 30 yds it wasn't as bad, but nowhere near the accuracy I had with field tips! I'm shooting 100 grain Tight Point Shuttle T-Lock.

Is it normal for the broadheads to be this much different than field tips?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Accuracy

bow out of tune by chance?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:36 PM

It seems to be a pretty common problem. Your bow needs to be tuned and it should shoot broadheads the same as your field points. Download the Easton Tuning Guide. http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 PM

You certainly have a tuning issue of some kind. Make certain the bow is 100% in tune. If it is, you should get your BHs to hit as your target points. BUT, if they are grouping well, you could just move your sights and be spot on. Only problem is you will be well of with your target tips....
Old 08-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes despite your best efforts you can't get the BH and FP to have the same point of impact, Whats important is how they group. My BH group very well at 20-30yds but don't have the same POI as the FP. A buddy of mine has 2 bows,one has the same POI the other doesn't. As long as your BH group consistently you'll be OK.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Johnsonmi, First of all I'd change my thinking on distance. 50 to 60 yards is out of range for most experienced bow hunters and you are new. 20 to 40 yards is quite a descrepancy. Maybe start off by shooting 15, 20, 25, and maybe 30 yards. If you can get good groups at those yardages you will be fine for "bow hunting". "Bow hunting" is not about how far you can shoot but how close you can get. Get closer and you will enjoy it much more and you won't lose as many deer. Save the long distances for the rifle. Good luck
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses! I'm shooting an '04 Hoyt Ultra Tec. My neighbor (who's an instructor) took a look while I was shooting. He said it looks like my cams aren't hitting at the same time. This is most likely my problem! Need to fix that!

Aeroslinger: I agree with you. Bow hunting is not about long shots .... especially me! I was just practicing at 50-60 yds to get sighted in. I wouldn't take a shot longer than 30-40 yds, especially being new and still getting used to broadheads! I believe in taking a shot you know you can make cleanly, to get a clean, ethical kill!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think what aeroslinger was intimating that you being new to shooting and broadheads, even 30-40 yards is a long shot. Most of us with years of experience MIGHT take a 30+ yard shot if we deem everything perfect. Otherwise the max is 30 yards and most shots are going to be under that.

That shouldn't keep you from practicing at 50 yards or more once you have the bow dialed in. If you can shoot 6" groups at 50 yards with broadheads then it should be areal confidence booster for those 20-25 yarders.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed! Most hunting shots will be under even 20yds. It's fun to practice out to great distances and helps to tame your groups at the shoter distances but unless you're hunting elk or caribou you won't need even a 30yd shot.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think I'd ever discourage anyone from PRACTICING at 50-60 yds. I know when I started....I never thought of taking even a practice shot of over 40 yds (that's all the pins I had).

I read an article somewhere that said 75% of your practice should be at 2X the distance you plan to be shooting at under hunting conditions. So.....I bought another sight (My son needed a new one for his bow....and got my old one).......set a 50 and 60 yd pin......and it's made me a better archer.Spring time finds my McKenzie buck an even 62 yds off the corner of my patio .

Jeff

Quick Reply: Broadhead Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.