Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Accuracy question >

Accuracy question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Accuracy question

Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Accuracy question

I just started shooting again after many years off and I am not that impressed with my accuracy after a little practice. I am shooting about 5'' groups at about 25 yards. I have a front sight and a peep sight, but I am using old arrows and no release. I have a release and new arrows on the way from cabelas. I am just wondering if it is possible that my bow is not going to be very accurate because it is old. It is a Fred Bear compound bow that is at least 15 years old; I acquired it used about 10 years ago.

Anyway, I guess we will find out when my stuff gets delivered. Just looking for a little input in the meantime. I paid for two day shipping and then Cabelas didn't ship for three days.[:@]
Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy question

You probably would get improved accuracy out of the new bows just because of howsuperior they are from an engineering standpoint. However, I would think your expectations are a little high for having not shot in years and shooting fingers. Your release just can't be that good after taking so long off. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on coming back to bowhunting!

A good rule of thumb is 1" of group for each 10 yards of distance for most hunting. In other words, you should be able to obtain 2" groups at 20 yards even with an older set-up (with practice).

The release will improve your accuracy a lot. If you have a local bow shop, it would be wise to let them inspect your bow. They can make sure the string/cables are in good shape and perhaps give you a hand with setting up your rest/sight.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not the bow, I could do better than that with my old Bear Whitetail that I bought in 1975...

It might be your release...I still shoot fingers and can keep them inside 3 inches at 25 yards and that's with no peep either...

I'd bet it's either your bow setup or the arrows, are they spined correctly???

Also...What do you have the poundage set at??? You might want to back down for a few weeks to help build your muscles up...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

the bow will be fine no matter how old it is
Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I agree. Soo many people get caughtup on the bow... Ive seen many good scoresposted withOLD bows. Get the bow checked out by someone reputable, and make sure the arrows are a good match for the bow, and let em' fly! You will come back around with a little time

Derek
Old 04-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

I agree. Soo many people get caughtup on the bow... Ive seen many good scoresposted withOLD bows. Get the bow checked out by someone reputable, and make sure the arrows are a good match for the bow, and let em' fly! You will come back around with a little time

Derek
I tend to disagree to some extent as many of those older bows don't have the same centerrest cut-out, and are not nearly as well made/designed as much of the newer stuff, the grips are much bulkier, causing archers to tend to over-torque the bow, and if the strings haven't been replaced, that thing may be a shot away from a disaster. I think putting a release in his hand, would likely shrink those groups to 3.5-4" almost instantly, but some of those OLDER bows just aren't really very good shooters. Not saying the bow the OP is shooting is unshootable, but there were some bows made 15-20yrs. ago that are JUNK. In comparison, I believe an entry level modern bow is superior to anything made 15yrs. ago as far as feel, consistency, and overall shootability. Again, I'm not saying older bows cannot be shot, because I have a 99 Hoyt that is still a good shooter, but if don't hold a candle to the newer 2005-2007 bows I own or have owned, and they're all similarly spec'd bows, 36-39" ATA, and 7-7.5" BH's.

Stonewall,
Welcome Back to archery!!!!! As far as accuracy goes, you will be able to shoot a bit better as you practice more, but I believe there is a big advantage to be gained by using a release vs. fingers, which should help shrink your groups a bit as the actual "release" of the string will become far more consistent. As far as the bow being the cause in inaccuracy, I wouldn't say it's ONLY the bow, but I would say that a bow upgrade could gain you great advantages, especially at longer distances. I'm not saying you NEED to go buy a new bow, but do yourself a favor and go hit a shop and shoot a few bows, especially the "new" parallel limb bows, and see what an amazing difference in feel you experience. Also, a decent Stabilizer may help a little as well, and make sure you check those strings over. If you do decide you're "in the market," check out Archerytalk.com classifieds, it's probably the BEST place on line to look for a used bow at a good price. I picked up a bow just yesterday that was almost $500 off of it's original sticker and it's still NEW in box. Now I have to decide whether I want to keep it as my back-up bow or my primary, or just sell it or one of my stable bows after making some comparisons. Also having a string loop installed will help your accuracy as well, once you get that release. Just some random thoughts on a varied spectrum, I hope some of it makes sense and helps.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you have come back. As far as your shooting goes, a 5” group with fingers out of a 15 year old bow does not sound that bad to me. There is no doubt that adding a release is going to tighten your groups. However, there are some suggestions I have before you get going at it too hard.

First, take your bow into a pro shop and get the strings checked out. A string failure will cause sever damage to your bow and could possible cause some serious physical damage to you. Have the pro shop install a D-loop on your string once your release gets here. There is a great video on Limb Saver’s web site (http://www.limbsaver.com/) that shows how a D-loop eliminates nock travel/slipping and how much of a advantage a D-loop is overa nock set. Have the shop tune your bow as well, as this will only helpyou shoot consistent.

Second, check and make sure the arrows you are shooting are the correct spine. Shooting arrows with the correct spine with help tighten your groups up as well.

Last, I agree with OH that the older bows cannot compare with the newer bows, even the moderately priced new bows. I am not saying that you cannot be accurate with your older equipment, but you I do believe that it is easier to be accurate with newer equipment than with older equipment.

Good luck and I hope you are enjoying yourself as you are getting back into the game.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree with the "it's not the bow". After 5 years your bow is definitely not tuned as it was when you put it down. Limbs may relax, string will lose its elasticity and control cables need replaced. Before you go out and spend 100's on a new bow, take the time to replace control cables, string and have the cams and cam bushings checked out and take the time to tune with the new equipment. I'll wager you will be right back where you were 5 years ago at a fraction of the cost. Of course, if you do want a new bow, this is a good excuse for the little lady.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

I disagree with the "it's not the bow". After 5 years your bow is definitely not tuned as it was when you put it down. Limbs may relax, string will lose its elasticity and control cables need replaced. Before you go out and spend 100's on a new bow, take the time to replace control cables, string and have the cams and cam bushings checked out and take the time to tune with the new equipment. I'll wager you will be right back where you were 5 years ago at a fraction of the cost. Of course, if you do want a new bow, this is a good excuse for the little lady.
thats what i said, but yall seemed to miss it[8D] A well set old bow, can shoot just fine. Also... There are still bows today that are new, and junk. There are bows from back in the day that are not junk as well.

Derek