Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Accuracy Question

Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Accuracy Question

Just wondering, does the grain of the bullet have anything to do with accuracy? ex. Do lighter grain bullets tend to shoot flatter and more accurate than heavier grain bullets.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy Question

It all depends on your gun. Out of my 3 centerfires that I shoot alot, weight of bullet does not affect accuracy one way or the other.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Each gun is different.Some are more accurate with lighter bullets,some with heavier bullets.There is no way to predict which a particular gun will shoot best.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few instances where bullet weight would make a difference. The 244 remington is a perfect example, while not common these days the 6mm remington rifles have the same twist as the 243 winchester. Another instance is with the twist on some of the 223 barrels. Without more info the only way to know is to shoot it and see.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Obviously a lighter bullet would shoot more flat, providing it was loaded the same and had more velocity.

However, accuracy is another ball game. It would depend on barrel harmonics and twist rate. A lighter bullet will vibrate your barrel at a different frequency than a heavier one will. If your gun likes that bullet it will shoot well with it, maybe better than the heavier one. If your gun doesn't like it, it probably won't be as accurate.

Also twist rate factors in a few things, two being the speed of the bullet and the length of the bullet. A heavier bullet of the same caliber will be longer, and a lighter bullet would be shorter. Depending on the weight difference and length difference the twist in your barrel may not be suited to the particular bullet you are using. This will not help the accuracy any.

The only way to know is to try though. If there is a certain style and weight of bullet you want to use by a box and head to the range. If they group well use them.

Paul
Old 09-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Usually med size bullets per caliber will shoot further distances. They will carry the energy further. It's all about the Ballistic Coefficient. Now accuracy, that depends on the rifle.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM

Often times you will see long distance target shooters pick a heavier bullet. Like with a .308, they will pick the heavier bullet for long range because it is longer and more stable in flight. So even though they have to estimate for range better the bullet is actually more accurate at a longer distance. Also they pick the .308 over a 30-06 or .300 mag.

I did the same thing with my inline muzzle loader. I was talking to someone and mentioned I thought about going to a 190 grn bullet so I could shoot farther. I was using 300 grn XTP's but they didnt group to well beyond 100 yards in my gun. I was told to go in the opposite direction. To get a longer heavier bullet because it would have a better BC. The suggestion was to go with Precision Rifle bullets with a polymer tip and boat tail design. I went with a 350 grn bullet vrs the 300 I had.

And low and behold it extended my range to 150 yards which is what I wanted. And it still shot flat enough at that distance that with a 130 yard sight in I didn't have to change my point of aim from 30 yards to 150 (2.5 inches high at 25 and 3 inches low at 150). just put the cross hairs on the deer and pull the trigger.

Paul
Old 09-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lighter bullets may shoot flatter for a distance but at some point the heavier bullets MOMENTUM will take over and at long range will usually end up shooting flatter. But to answer the question, as others have said there is no solid rule of thump as to which will be more accurate.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

All good answers! All these factors affect accuracy. One thing not mentioned is, all things being equal, heavier bullets will be less affected by wind drift, giving them the nod in accuracy.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing not mentioned is, all things being equal, heavier bullets will be less affected by wind drift, giving them the nod in accuracy.
However,lighter bullets can be driven at higher velocity,so all things are not equal.

Quick Reply: Accuracy Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.