Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Scent control question... >

Scent control question...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Scent control question...

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent control question...

Scent Control ................ here is my take on it

Does it help or is it a waste of money that companies have exploited just to help lighten our wallets.

I feel that scent control is a good thing, but there is also a point that you can cross the line and it just becomes a waste of money. Who is to say that all of your precautions will stop the deer from smelling you ......... can anyone actually say what or how much a deer can smell or cannot smell ....... I know that I do not know that.

I have a scent loc suit and have even tested it with my late beagle. It did work to some extent, but he was still able to find me from downwind, just not as fast as he would normally do.

Generally deer are a very inquestive animal ........ if they smell a new strange odor, they will investigate to find out what it is, to see if they should be scared of it or not. Light a smudge fire up wind of where some deer are bedded, more away and see what happens. The deer will come to investigate. Just like all these new scent attratants, once a deer knows what most of them are, they usually will not bother with them (I did take part in some scent testing for a company).

So I will say, do what you can to help lower your scent (since deer assoicate human scent as danger) but I would not go over board. Use scent attractants (smoke sticks, vinella, estrus, ect) and vary them to keep things different.

Just my two scents (which by the way is worth more now because the CDN dollar is worth more )
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

the temperature plays a big part too. You could use every trick in the book on a warm humid september day and get scented. But on a 20 degree day in january you could use no scent control what so ever and be fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I use stuff on my clothes to kill the scent and also to kill UV by washing it. Small bottle lasted me 3 or 4 yrs. Only other scent stuff I use is the earth scent (smells like dirt) I will keep my hunting clothes in a scent free bag and spray them down with that so they smell the same everytime I pull them out. Another good way is to use them earth dryer sheets and toss one into the bag also. SoI don't use stuff to spray myself down when I am ready to go into the woods.

I don't smoke, and keep my clothes in that bag whenever not in use. For washing myself I just use non scented shampoo. Doesn't have to be some special hunting brand. If you look around hard enough you can find stuff with no perfume smell for people that are allergic to them.

I do like the unscented deoderant, but you must also remember that if your going to do any amount of walking to your spot you will sweat. You got all that gear on to stay warm and your making your body work. Take your time walking, get there early so you will not want to sweat and also keep your noise down. Sure Scent lock gear may help this. I don't own any though.

Stuff like Gum-o-flauge and crap I don't by into. Me and a buddy actually came up with something similar a few years ago.. Non-scented toothpaste, mouthwash. Think we should have gone with it as they now sell it all and even breathmints for hunting.. I did make the suggestion of making it of doe in heat flavor as a joke when we talked about it. Almost made 2 hunting buddies hurl when I said it. I thought it was funny.

I know I got my scent down and it seems to work. Last yr was my first year in a stand. Had alot of deer walk up to within 10yards of me. All other hunting was on the ground, and have had deer stand 5 yards from, had a doe a couple yrs ago walk into a field I was sitting on the edge of 3 yards from me. I have never been busted for my scent, moving, sneezing (that sucks) and misfires on my blackpowder gun has. Upgraded to a 209 primer .45 cal this yr also. See how that likes the rain.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the good info!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

covering your breath seems like good idea to me. I'm usally breathing most of the time. I would think coffee breathe would travel pretty far.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Only time I breath out of my mouth is after taking a shot. Normally by then my heart is racing so hard from adrenaline that I have no choice but to suck in as much air as possible. Lucky I haven't sucked in some leafs and squirrels.

I am not a big coffee drinker. Mostly drink water.