Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control question... >

Scent control question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control question...

Old 10-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Scent control question...

A few years ago I did it all, showered in scent free soap, washed my clothes, sprayed downed, stored my clothes etc. Everything Icould do to be scent free except for the carbon clothing. Yet everytime I went out, I made sure I only hunted if the wind was in my favor and if a deer did get downwind of me, chances are it would smell me, so I quit using all the soaps etc and just played the wind.

Every year I thinkI should get back into it and buy all the soaps, sprays, etc, but what is the point if you still have to play the wind when you hunt???Spend all that money and you still need to play the wind. For the fellas that still do all of this, why do you do it? What advantage do you truely feel it gives to justify spending all the cash?? Not cutting you down, but probably looking for a reason to do it all again.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scent control question...

If I am as scent free as a human can get and a deer does get down wind of me I usually have time to get off a shot while they are trying to figure out what is wrong. You on the other hand with last nights spaghetti stain on your shirt and yesterdays crusty underwear on won't even have the remote chance ofeven drawing back your bow.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never use any scent control except for washing my clothes. I use Ivory soap when I shower and that is it. Just play the wind and it seems to work fine for me. And I have a 150 class Net under my belt. So it is just a matter of preference and budget.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:02 AM

K I know it is wrong but....... almost every time i have seen deer I was either smoking or had just put one out. It doesnt seem to affect the deer. I am on the edge of our land and the wind is usually blowing me into a field. I have lots of deer around me. pluss there is a farm and two houses in the front of my land so they are used to human scent. I watched 4 doe eat accorns 20 yrds from me as a motorcycle drove within 100 yards from us and they never looked up. I am thinking of bringing the dogs leash and just walking up to a buck and making him my pet!!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think it is worth your while.Yes you always want the wind in your favor,but the wind switches,deer don't always come from the direction or runways you expect them to.Scent control precautions will benefit you more often than it wont.
As was previously stated,having a deer accept what they believe is an insignificant amount of human odor,very often is the difference between a shot opportunity and them fleeing.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Spike

If you were following a good scent control program, you shouldn't have been getting busted so something must have been giving you away. Maybe a smelly pair of boots, smelly pack, garlic breath, who knows. I don't use carbon clothes and I haven't been busted in a long time. I guess if it didn't seem to work, I wouldn't keep doing it either. If you're not going to minimize your scent then you need to take extra care in how you approach your stand and understand that you pretty much burn out each spot as you use it so you need to keep moving. If your willing to give it another try, I would suggest adding Hunters Edge to the line up of products you're using. It's a powder made from one of the strongest odor absorbing there is. Sprinkle it in your boots and clothes and such but most importantly in your pack. I have a theory that lots of guys get busted because of their packs. When is the last time you washed the rope you haul your bow up with? Your hands give off lots of odor and you run that rope through your hands over and over again. How about the sheath on your hunting knife? Any chance there's old blood and/or little bits of guts in the leather? The easiest way to fight those odors is putting scent absorbing powder in the pack. It works its way into everything. When I root around in my pack, there's a cloud of dust wafting out. I just throw a little more in every so often and I know its coating the straps of my safety belt, flashlight, gps unit, and everything else that's in there, stuff that I probably wouldn't ordinarily wash or spray very often, if ever. Well, it's just MO but I can afford to buy a few scent control products a lot more than I can afford to burn out my favorite spots. Good luck to you.