Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why Crossbows???? >

Why Crossbows????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why Crossbows????

Old 03-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why Crossbows????

DNK, did he really email you? LOL Feel the love! Must be OCD.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

In my state of Oklahoma it is illegal for anyone without a disability to even shoot a coyote with a crossbow, but that doesn't stop me from owning 2 of them. First off I am an outdoor and shootingenthusiast, I don't hold a bias against any weapon and for that reason I will try anything. I agree whole heartdly that hunting with a crossbow would be more difficult than hunting with my brand new compound. The only real advantage I see as a hunter is the lack of movement in the field when using a crossbow. The vertical archer has to draw and hold the 85% letoff for who knows how long, while the horizontal archer simply has to have the bow raised and ready to fire. If Oklahoma would change their hunting regulations I would definetely have a tough decision on which weapon to hunt with during archery season.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

DNK, did he really email you? LOL Feel the love! Must be OCD.
Yuppers, he needed help with some basic concepts and problems. Like why does my arrow hit the target tail left when I am shooting 7 yards away, how do I make it easier to pully my arrows out of a target etc, etc. I tried to explain to him the archer's paradox (arrow oscillation). Now he struts around like a Tom! Then he pesters us with sweeping incorrect statements, trying to perpetuate myths and miss-information about crossbow and deer hunting, etc, etc, etc and them he begs me not to give information about him because he's had people search him out, hmmm I wonder why?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ryanaller

In my state of Oklahoma it is illegal for anyone without a disability to even shoot a coyote with a crossbow, but that doesn't stop me from owning 2 of them. First off I am an outdoor and shootingenthusiast, I don't hold a bias against any weapon and for that reason I will try anything. I agree whole heartdly that hunting with a crossbow would be more difficult than hunting with my brand new compound. The only real advantage I see as a hunter is the lack of movement in the field when using a crossbow. The vertical archer has to draw and hold the 85% letoff for who knows how long, while the horizontal archer simply has to have the bow raised and ready to fire. If Oklahoma would change their hunting regulations I would definetely have a tough decision on which weapon to hunt with during archery season.

Ryan, this info is somewhat at odds w/ what I've been told. I've talked to a couple of hog outfitters near me but in Ok and was told xbow was legal for them. Along the same lines, it's disability only for xbows in Lousiana, but they are legal for all for hogs there, as the state doesn't consider them game animals. I did look at the OK regs and it would appear on public property [WMA's] you can only use what weapons are legal for which ever other season is in, which would exclude them there, but I'm wondering about private property??
Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 AM

Just like most debates, I guess it all depends on personal reasons as to why we hunt, orwhat we hunt with. As long as it is legal, you dont have to "justify" the "why".

I sincerely appreciate the responses and further appreciate you guys NOT automatically taking offense to my question. This might ruffle a few feathers, and I dont really care, but I believe it is "easier" to harvest a deer with a rifle than a sharp stick. My hats off to all of you for taking it to the next level and getting "up close" and enjoying the "hunt"!!!

Good luck to all, yes, even you, Sproulman!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

This might ruffle a few feathers, and I dont really care, but I believe it is "easier" to harvest a deer with a rifle than a sharp stick.
Dave, Over the years (over 50yrs) of hunting, I have taken my share of Hogs, Deer, Moose, Wolf,Bear, Turkeys, Ducks, Rabbits,Doves and Quail in many states and Canada, all with Long Guns. I have never owned a Vertical Bow. All my hunting years I only asked questions about Guns to other Gun Hunting friends. When it came to hunting, I always asked Archers!

I am considering a Crossbow this year and have never hunted with one either, but am waiting on the doctors OK, cause of two Aneurysms in the Stomach Aorta.

You say that it's easier to harvest game with a Long Gun, No Question, No Doubt....Agree 100%.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:46 AM

I got a crossbow because I wanted to extend my deer season and injury prevents my using a trditional bow. I have only been hunting for ywo years now, but I have always been a gun guy(police & military). I bought an Excalibur Vixen a couple months ago and figured I would use it until the day gun season started and put it back in my closet until archery season opened again. The trouble with that is since I got it, I can't stop shooting it. I'll probably use it even in rifle season depending on where I hunt. I guess it's just one of those things.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave
Good luck to all, yes, even you, Sproulman!
Dave, you certainly got his number! LOL!
Dave, it's a pleasure to have answered your questions. Some of us were expecting what we ususally get like from sproule/JK. But for a pleasant change we acutally had and intellegent person asking intellegent questions. Thank you Dave. I am sure you are quite welcome here by all and surely will contribute wisdom and experience when you do come here.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, that was a refreshing conversation on the topic..
Old 03-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

I agree, that was a refreshing conversation on the topic..
, Ya'll come back, hear??

Quick Reply: Why Crossbows????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.