Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why Crossbows???? >

Why Crossbows????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why Crossbows????

Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why Crossbows????

I have both both are legal in AR,I took 5 deer with an old compound last year because they had a rule for the in town hunt that only vertical bows were legal, but I filled my state tags out in the country with my crossbow,I am 7o and the aurtheritis is in the shoulder joints but I shot a xbow long before that why not it is more fun. Lee
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave
Do crossbow hunters also bowhunt? I understand persons with disabilities sometimes cant pull back a bow, so they use crossbows.

I am going to go out on a limb and figurehunters who choose a crossbowdo so for the same reasonhunters choose muzzleloaders. For an added challenge.Why dont you just bowhunt? Help me understand.
Montana Dave crossbows are just another piece of archery equipment so yes crossbow hunters archery hunt. You see, crossbws have been in use for thousands of years and the compound was only developed and pattened in the late 1960's. If you go by how long a hunting tool was used, then crossbws would be the hunting tool for archery and the vertical compound would not be classed as archery, but that is not what we are about.

I will give you some ideas on why people choose the crossbow to hunt with:
ME personally - I dislocated my shoulder many years ago and can't safely hold a vertical while gaining full draw without the possibility of my shoulder going out again.
33 year old lady - she wanted to hunt with herr husband and could not hold the vertical bows steady enough for the accuray that she demanded for herself.
14 youth - being of slight statur, he was not strong enough to use the compounds and wanted to hunt with his father, he is now 23 and hunts with both the crossbow and a recurve.
75 year old man - wanted to continue to hunt with the bow, to enjoy the outdoors that he grew up with, just loves to hunt.
23 year old male - hunts with all 4 varieties of bows (longbow, recurve, compound and crossbow) just becasue he has the ability to choose the one he wants for the day.

Again, the crossbow has the same range as the other archery choices out there. You still have to get close and personal like you have to with other bows. Most of the garbage put out by the anti crossbow groups is only garbage to mislead people that de not know about crossbows into believe that they are not archery or do not belong there.

Why would somone choose the crossbow over a vertical bow could be just as simple as it was the best tool of choice available for the situation of the hunt they were going on. Same thing, if you have a choice and was going to be doing alot of walking through heavy bush, you would choose the vertical over the crossbow as it would be better suited for that style of hunt (easier to carry). There are some advantages of the the crossbow over the vertical compound, but there are advantages of the vertical compound over the crossbows. It is just a choice of hunting tool for most people.

Hope this helped you understand.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both of Rebel Hogs posts said it very well,After the surgery its neat to
be able to be in the woods,miss my compound but love my Ten Point
even more!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Another reason is that we may or may not feel we owe it to the animals we hunt. i hunt with both X bow and verticle, the only deer I have ever wounded was with my Ben Pearson Spoiler. I never had a deer run more than 50 yards after the shot before last season. Using the weapon you can be most accurate with is as [if not more]important than the thrill of the hunt. Try to always remember we are taking a life. We owe them a quick and as painless as possible death. I use a X-bow when it is very cold or if I haven't had time to practice as much as I should. I never want play with an animals life. That is as good a reason as any to use a x-bow.

[/align]
Old 03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

There is a certain attraction to it. They became legal here so I said why not try one? I also do not have as much time anymore to tinker and compounds seem to take more from you to feel confident when shot time comes. You still have to know yardage ( my first xbow 3-D showed me that last week) but I no longer worry about the rest, or the sight, or my nock or any of the dozen things that seem to so easily go wrong during the season with a compound. Short of a bone jarring thump my xbow stays more on target week after week.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Good post deserve good answers. All have said it well so far. Just to give us a little more back ground, what do you use as your bow of choice?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

dave, i like shooting my new crossbow, its fun.but only fred bear kodiackrecurve i use for hunting buck..

now, someday i believe when i get 90,i will be looking for crossbow but i will not enjoy it as much as recurve..

its just to much fun shooting wooden arrows at a huge buck then letting a bolt fly from crossbow..
Old 03-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

dave, i like shooting my new crossbow, its fun.but only fred bear kodiackrecurve i use for hunting buck..

now, someday i believe when i get 90,i will be looking for crossbow but i will not enjoy it as much as recurve..

its just to much fun shooting wooden arrows at a huge buck then letting a bolt fly from crossbow..
Well maybe if you took aim rather than let a so called bolt "fly" you'd have more fun. JK, you're attitude sucks. I and everyone else here take carefull aim and release an arrow. You sir are a silly arse and you shame us all. You are a pimple on our behinds. My biggest fear of late is that you may be mistaken as a sportsman as well as be associated with us! You have an aura that arrives just before a bad stink. You complain that there have been people that try to find you to do you harm. You beg me not to broadcast any information that may lead a person to you. I have just realized why. You have mastered a way to worm your way under everyone's skin and irratate like a bad oozing rash, constantly bothering and wearing to a point that one wants to cut the appendage that the rash exists on. Stop it JK! You are pushing us to our limits! My next post will not please you whatsoever.
You should not email anyone that you irratate because your emails allow an IP address to be tracked down! Now this is dumb! Talk about self-destructive!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave.
Everyone has spoken well here on why crossbow.Iam 46 and have onlybow huntedthe last23 yrs.Now I have serious neck problems again and need surgery(again).Insted of giving up bow hunting I found this forum and relized I could still BOW hunt,so with the help of all these people(friends)I decided to buy a crossbow so I can still hunt with what I love tohunt with,a bow and arrow......The Doc said it would be at least 2yrs before I could get back to my recurve's and longbow and maybe I wont be able to do it at all,at least I have my crossbow to hunt with.I do own several long guns,a black powder and many handguns and a couple shotgunsbut I decided I would hunt bow only from the fall of 1982.The kick from the rifles and BP and shotguns are to much for my neck,besides my right arm and hand are somewhat numb and Iam already in steady pain.
So you see,we all have our reasons to use a crossbow.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Easy dnk. Your blood pressure will go up. Don't sweat the small people. They ain't worth it. We regulars have our fun and usually filter out the garbage. So go easy big fellow and let's not debate crossbows with useless and worthless efforts.
BBO

Quick Reply: Why Crossbows????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.