HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Why Crossbows???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/186471-why-crossbows.html)

Montana Dave 03-30-2007 08:03 AM

Why Crossbows????

I can wholeheartedly assure all of you I have NOTHING against crossbows, I just dont understand the "Why". I am an avid bowhunting fanatic and chose archery because I like the challenge of archery, up close, etc. It just takesmore skill to get that close. Matter of fact, I have recently dedicated my life to the sport!

Do crossbow hunters also bowhunt? I understand persons with disabilities sometimes cant pull back a bow, so they use crossbows.

I am going to go out on a limb and figurehunters who choose a crossbowdo so for the same reasonhunters choose muzzleloaders. For an added challenge.Why dont you just bowhunt? Help me understand. If that is your weapon of choice, OK by me. I honestly just dont understand. Please dont take offense.

Rebel Hog 03-30-2007 08:23 AM

RE: Why Crossbows????

Don't know how old you are, but the years will answer your question! If you believe in prayer, pray that you don't have injuries at work or accidents in your life. Some of us are not as fortunate.:)

Yes, there are X-bowers on here that do use verticles and X-bows.

What makes you think that Verticle shootersshoot closer than X-bowers? X-bowers that know, keep the yardage to 30-35yds.

Like you mentioned, why do Riflemen also shoot Muzzleloaders? Hey, different strokes for different folks!:)

Dnk 03-30-2007 08:52 AM

Dave, no offence whatsoever taken.
Aside from what you see in my signature. I have a Vulcan and a Gamemaster (recurve) on order. I also own a "cheap" target recuve.
I first bought a crossbow because I found shooting a compound when wearing heavy clothing cumbersome. Problem was that it was so much fun and so addictive I shot it more and more. Bottom line is that it is because it is I can and it is legal and ethical. Whatmore does one need. Please do not take offence but that question is similar to asking someone why they drive a Ford or a pick up truck. It is only another choice. Personally I think that a compound with a drop away rest, a release with a "hair trigger" is an advantage over a crossbow. It certainly is more accurate.
Don

BuddyBo 03-30-2007 09:16 AM

I use my crossbow for one reason, and one reason only! I ain't worth a crap at throwing a spear.
BBO

awshucks 03-30-2007 09:29 AM

Montana Dave: Welcome to this part of the forums. No offense taken at all and you did a good job making that apparent. There are many different reasons we use them. Age, health, physical ability which includes some real young hunters getting an early shot at what we all love. As you probably have already seen, the hunt part is pretty much the same regardless of which type bow you carry. The real thrill is getting one close enough to take. I use mine mostly because they are just plain fun! I like tweakin/tuning them, and can shoot the recurve [lighter in front] style offhand w/ dinged shoulder. Another analogy, I like squirrel hunting. I have a .22 rifle w/ scope, a .17 hmr I use alot. I like sniping them from afar, lol. I also use a Colt Diamondback .22 w/ 4" bbl. when I want a real challenge. Kinda boils down to what a persons choices are.

Montana Dave 03-30-2007 09:48 AM

Again, I repeatedly said I was NOT trying to offend anyone. If I did, I sincerely apoligize.

Kinda what I figured. If someone said "I shoot a crossbow because they are friggin' cool!" Thats perfectly OK by me. I own an archery-only hunting ranch, but I am still a gun-nut! I understand the "Cool" factor. Anyone who cant smile after shooting a fully automatic M-16 needs to see a doctor! (Ha! Ha!)

As far as the use of crossbows for persons with disabilities- my hats off to ya! It is a fact that a rifle hunt would be easier, you know? But, thats not why you use a crossbow, is it?

Thanks for the insight, guys. Again, I am honestly just trying to get the "Why".

txhoghunter 03-30-2007 09:52 AM

well, dave.. to me i like to shoot it, is cause i have that right too shoot it. i too along with many others have averticle bow, but like reb said, differnt strokes for diffrent folks.crossbows are vicious looking, thats 1 reason why i love mine.plus in 20 yrs(if im still around) im sure im gonna need it more than my verticle bow.plus sometimes i like to put on my amour suit made of metal and run threw the woods, jus like they did in the medevil times....lol jk

smokepolehall 03-30-2007 10:04 AM

Yup its just a personel choice Dave. A rifle or shotgun or ML is much easier! Trouble is its not near as much of a challenge! I used to shoot Long & Recurve's before the Compound came along. Then i got one or 4 and was shooting all of them. Then i got crippled up and couldn't shoot them anymore. I still have a Bear compound to get rid of. The CB is a bust compared to regular Bows, because of its weight, size and being so awkward! Its the onlydeal in town fer me now to get up close and personal with my big Game! It still provides that thrill of taking animals with a Bow just a differant type.:)Since i got one i love it!:D

smokepolehall 03-30-2007 10:07 AM

I didn't tell you thats its a great Vampire killer![:-][:o][8D]:D

Rebel Hog 03-30-2007 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Montana Dave

It is a fact that a rifle hunt would be easier, you know? But, that's not why you use a crossbow, is it?

Thanks for the insight, guys. Again, I am honestly just trying to get the "Why".
:D:D:D:D:DNooffense taken Dave! No, that's Not why many of us don't use Rifles or Verticals, it's because many of us have had some sort of an injury over the years, Arms, Shoulders, Neck, Backand many don't qualify for Disability Permits, but most states have a X-bow season now.

What we would like to see is X-bows included in Archery Season. In FL X-bows are not allowed in Archery Season, but Archery is allowed in X-bow Season.:eek: