Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

excal strings

Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default excal strings

just wondering what your thoughts were on the fff string. i get about 11 fps more with it than with the stock excal string. do you think it is worth the extra wear and tear on the limbs? or for that matter, are they that much tougher on the limbs? btw i'm using the exocet 200 with the fff string.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: excal strings

Shewe, the trade off for using a fast flight string is forgiveness. I have dryfired my old Exocet once and my new one five freaking times! Yeah, yeah, yeah I know I am a moron! With a fast flight string I would have done it once before buying new limbs. I personally don't think the extra fps is worth it but many do because it is very popular. I am thinking about using one but if I do then I would only use it when hunting (I don't seem to be a moron when I am hunting).
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shewe: I've been in love w/ both at different times. Really liked how the Excel tamed my Emax down and quieted the Phoenix some, however, since I'm using 431 gr GT's [which do the same thing] I've gone back to the FFF on both recurves. When I dry-fired the Emax w/ the FFF on, it took me two days to find the string!! I got lucky and didn't damage my limbs. I can't recall what weight arrow you use, but in case you have not heard of the weight/speed deal, it's about 1 fps for every 5 gr additional weight, so those 431's cost me about 14 fps over the stock 360 gr Excals.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

i use a fairly heavy set-up to hunt. used 2219's this year. they weigh in at 455 gr. working on some 2117's that i have laying around from my vertical bow days. they weigh 410 gr. i think the heavy arrows just penetrate better....especially on an angled shot at a quartering animal. i've seen the light arrows kick to the side on a severe angle shot. ty for the advice guys.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shewe: I got some 445 gr, heaviest I have played w/. I would bet that your 455 and FFF shoot almost the same as 410's and Excel speed and trajectory wise, fwtw. The trade offs will even each other out if you see my point. Something must be workin, your deer was bigger than mine, lol.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Excal is no longer going to offer the FFF string but they will still be able to be gotten and Im going of memory which is not always a good ideal for me but I believe I remember reading somthing about that if you have a dryfire using the FFF string and do damage to your crossbow that Excal will not cover the damage under warrenty..
Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shucky darn, i have 2 each of both! The fff and the excel seems to be about 12 to 15 fps between them. Evidently if Excal isn't going to carry the fff strings, i will use mine until they wear out. Then just use the excel strings. Exocet how sweet it is. Ain't seen any deers fer 2 weeks now. 5 days left boohoo! I am tired after 3 months i need some rest!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: htoler

I believe I remember reading somthing about that if you have a dryfire using the FFF string and do damage to your crossbow that Excal will not cover the damage under warrenty..
Excalibur will not cover any damage caused by using a Fast Flite string on an older model that has the carved limb tips (pre 2001 models).
Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: delmer

I believe I remember reading somthing about that if you have a dryfire using the FFF string and do damage to your crossbow that Excal will not cover the damage under warrenty..
Excalibur will not cover any damage caused by using a Fast Flite string on an older model that has the carved limb tips (pre 2001 models).
LOL, and why would they? There should be a penalty for stupidity if you use a fff string on a carved tipped Excal.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excal is no longer going to offer the FFF string but they will still be able to be gotten and Im going of memory which is not always a good ideal for me but I believe I remember reading somthing about that if you have a dryfire using the FFF string and do damage to your crossbow that Excal will not cover the damage under warrenty..
Henry: I was talking to Dan Miller late this past week, and he told me as far as he knows they are still going to carry the FFF. I see the current Excals come w/ Standard endless loop dacron, My Emax bought a year ago this past August came w/ FFF. I think the switch from FFF to Dacron from the factory might be causing confusion. I think providing dacron on the new bows is a good idea, as that's when a guy is most likely to dry fire. Dang, and I've been stocking up on FFF's, lol. Did you see the guy on Excal forum selling his version of FFF?? Supposed to be a few fps faster and have servings last longer than factory made.

Quick Reply: excal strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.