Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 dissabled Dad takes the plunge! >

dissabled Dad takes the plunge!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

dissabled Dad takes the plunge!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default dissabled Dad takes the plunge!

Hey guys! My dad suffered a serious shoulder injury at work a few years ago. He hasn't been in the woods or even at our camp since He's gotten most of his family problems behind them and now he's getting the urge to return to the woods. He can no longer pull a bow and has a hard time shooting rifles (recoil puts him down for a few days after). We got him to buy a TC contender to deer hunt with. Just got an email from him and he said he ordered an xbow.

He ordered this Horton Explorer HD 150...... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te... 24&hasJS=true We are both totally ignorant of xbows. He looked them over at a local Gander Mountain. We couldn't get any service so He went to cabelas website and just ordered what looked like a nice one at a good price........he also ordered a buncha goodies to go along with it.

Xbow will be used mainly for whitetail hunting inside of 35 yards. Is this a good bow to start with? Tired to talk him into the Tenpoint Elite but that wasn't happeing

Any info we should know before we start?

Is there a xbow for dummies website?

He considered the Drawloc for his old bow but couldn't emagine setting in the woods with a bow at full draw all the time........very cumbersome.

Yes he did apply for and recieve his class Y permit so he will be legal in WV.

Thanks guys for any info!
cartman308[/align]
Old 10-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dissabled Dad takes the plunge!

Cartman... You found the website for Crossbows for dummies. The bow are talking about will thump a deer good at 35 Yards if the shooter does his part and I have never even shot a Horton.All the really smart guys onthis forumseem to recommend Excaliburs, butBased on what these bow monkeys say any decent bow will do the job. Then they quickly fade into a discussion about which one will do it better. Not sure what the decision is. Ido expect you will find alot of good info here. >>>>>>>>>>Whack!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

All the really smart guys onthis forumseem to recommend Excaliburs, butBased on what these bow monkeys say any decent bow will do the job. >>>>>>>>>>Whack!
[/align]

Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM

I made a really good post for this the first time so it sucks that it is being done twice!but here goes! As planter said you may have found the web site for crossbow for dumbies, but I do know you found the one for crossbows for loonies! Your dad got a good cb and will kill deer just fine with it. Horton has been making good bows for a long time.

The first bit of advice I give all new people is pulling back the bow string centered. If you do not it will make you arrows go all over the place. It is kinda like changing the nock point on your vertical bow every time you shoot. Your arrows would not group good. All you have to do is take a fine point marker and mark the edge of your string on each side of the rail/barrell. then as you pull the string back make sure it is still centered and all will be good.

That CB comes with a red dot and a dial-a-range on it. The red dot is ok and will work well with the dial-a-range. The only problem I had with my first red dot was it really sucks when you forget to turn it off on the way out of the woods, and then the next day you see a nice one coming only to realize that you forgot to turn it off and now you are SOL! This is my fault and not the scopes but it still sucks! The other thing that can burn a guy is the dial-a-range. You pratice the night before and turn it up cause you were practicing 40 yard shots for fun. You go out and shoot at a nice ten point and your arrow goes about a foot over its back! You look down and DAM! you forgot to set it back to zero! The dial-a-range is something I think most horton guys play with at first and then leave it alone, some epoxy it so it cant move by accident on them. I just bought a VARIZONE by excalibur and it is the cats meow of CB scopes, simply the best!

The other thing I could mention is keep it simple at first, Don't go out and try playing with all kinds of arrows and such. I have always used horton arrows and never had a problem. If you start experamenting before you get your baseline set you can have problems and only get upset. I shoot the carbons for durability. I bend the alluminums to easy. Don't think the carbons are lighter though. The alluminums are 430 grains and the carbons are 496 I think, Why the carbons are heavier I do not know, but just is. Once you guys get good, then you can buy all kinds of stuff and start playing around.

B-Heads are pretty wide open like vertical bows. Everyone has one they swear by and we all get deer. You just need to find what works for ya. I shot muzzys for about twelve years out of my old supermag and killed all deer that I hit with them. This year though I have got bit by the mech bug and am trying the new Tekan Twos.

One misconception with the CB is you get longer shoots with one. Most of us in here would never shoot at a deer over thirty yards, Its just to risky and the deer deserve better then a good chance. I try to keep all my shots at twenty. Its almost imposible for deer to jump the string at twenty, but over that and you can have it happen.

Good luck and keep us updated, Also dont forget to use the rail lube! If not you will bust your serving and could break a string!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jason, are you sure thats what you said earlier?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a good CB and try to keep shots 30 yds. and under.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

thanks guys! I'll pass the info on! Rail lube, centered string, KISS. Sounds easy enough!!

Can't wait to get out hands on it and play around! I'm just hoping he gets to camp for opening day! I think it'll do him alot of good mentaly!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Jason, are you sure thats what you said earlier?
Hey I try, but it was along one! I said alot earlier that I am about to start repeating! wont be good either!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cartman308
Can't wait to get out hands on it and play around!
Hmmm this strikes a familiar note! Now cartman just who is this bow for? LOL!!!! Have fun and let your dad shoot it too!
Don
Old 10-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: cartman308
Can't wait to get out hands on it and play around!
Hmmm this strikes a familiar note! Now cartman just who is this bow for? LOL!!!! Have fun and let your dad shoot it too!
Don
I'm sure i'm gonna pop it a few times but it's gonna be his toy I'll just be very happy to see him back at camp! He's not gonnaget it in time to have enough practice for opening day but we have about 2 1/2 more months to make something happen (UPS says delivery will be 10/13, season opens 10/14 [])