Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Harvesting Acorns???

Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Harvesting Acorns???

Has anyone ever tried gathering acorns and boiling them to eat? I've heard they are good if you boil them enough to get some kind of oil out but I've never tried it myself. Are some kind of acorns better than others?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Harvesting Acorns???

Thats one of them things where id try cooking it then feed it to a friend and if he dosent fall over dead then ill try them and thats probably your best bet because ive never herd anything about eating them
Old 08-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Thats one of them things where id try cooking it then feed it to a friend and if he dosent fall over dead then ill try them
Yeah, I know your kind. I'm usually the one that gets to try "new" things.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya just gotta cook something and say " hey these are great try one and tell me what you think" then put of trying one your self for a good 10min. and if they dont get sick try one but if they disappear or start feeling rough pour the pot out and try again
Old 08-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I know that dried and ground they make a good flour "additive" for flavor, but I haven't heard of anyone eating them boiled. I think that they may come out a little like chestnuts...which have the consistency of medium cooked lima beans.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mlaubner

I know that dried and ground they make a good flour "additive" for flavor, but I haven't heard of anyone eating them boiled. I think that they may come out a little like chestnuts...which have the consistency of medium cooked lima beans.
have you tried the flour additive thing? it sounds interesting. does it have a decent flavor?
Old 08-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never tried it, but I gound this with a quick internet search:

PREPARATION OF GROUND ACORN MEAL

Pick up several cupfuls of acorns. All kinds of oaks have edible acorns. Some have more tannin than others, but leaching will remove the tannin from all of them.

Shell the acorns with a nutcracker, a hammer, or a rock.

Grind them. If you are in the woods, smash them, a few at a time on a hard boulder with a smaller stone, Indian style. Do this until all the acorns are ground into a crumbly paste. If you are at home, it's faster and easier to use your mom's blender. Put the shelled acorns in the blender, fill it up with water, and grind at high speed for a minute or two. You will get a thick, cream-colored goo. It looks yummy, but tastes terrible.

Leach (wash) them. Line a big sieve with a dish towel and pour in the ground acorns. Hold the sieve under a faucet and slowly pour water through, stirring with one hand, for about five minutes. A lot of creamy stuff will come out. This is the tannin. When the water runs clear, stop and taste a little. When the meal is not bitter, you have washed it enough.
Or, in camp, tie the meal up in a towel and swish it in several bucketfuls of clean drinking water, until it passes the taste test.

Squeeze out as much water as you can, with your hands.

Use the ground acorn mash right away, because it turns dark when it is left around. Or store in plastic for freezing if you want to make the pancakes later.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting but i think ill just stick to my regular store bought flour I tried an acorn 1 time in the woods and I wasent to thrilled
Old 09-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried one, too. The only advantage I could see is if I am captured by cannibals. They might not eat me because I had a "gamey" taste.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Nice theory Texan.