Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Choosing a smoker

Old 04-07-2020, 02:36 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
wanderer08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 14
Default Choosing a smoker

I have looked at the Traeger Pro and Pit Boss, so guess I would like to try pellet ones.
Gents, who cooks at home - for a backyard level wild game smoking, what would you recommend?

Would like to keep it under 1k.
wanderer08 is offline  
Old 04-07-2020, 05:30 AM
  #2  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
Default

I went the way of wood chips as I have access to apple and maple tree,s to make my own, Do buy a little such as hickory when on sale, My Brother in law purchase da pellet 3 years ago and now wishes he didn't as price of pellets keeps rising, do now go cheap you will regret it whit snokers,
grouch55 is offline  
Old 04-07-2020, 05:46 AM
  #3  
Boone & Crockett
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 14,247
Default

I started with a Propane smoker , then wen to a charcoal smoker and I could not hold the temperature where I wanted it. I now use a Bradley electric digital smoker. I set the cook temp, I set the smoke time and the cook time and using a probe thermometer I know when the inside temp of the meat is correct to pull it out of the smoker. With the gas and charcoal I had to be by the smoker for the entire time and if it was windy it made it even harder. I love the electric, pretty much set it and forget it except for putting more wood in the smoke generator if it is a long smoke. This one.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-07-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Oldtimr is offline  
Old 04-12-2020, 11:06 PM
  #4  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
wanderer08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by grouch55 View Post
I went the way of wood chips as I have access to apple and maple tree,s to make my own, Do buy a little such as hickory when on sale, My Brother in law purchase da pellet 3 years ago and now wishes he didn't as price of pellets keeps rising, do now go cheap you will regret it whit snokers,
Thanks for the warning, grouch. So, which grill/smoker do you use? An electric one?
From what I've learned, it's grilling that uses the pellets at a really quick rate, but for smoking it could go for a long time between refills. We have an opportunity to get some really big bags from Lumberjack near us, so I believe it won't be a problem (at least for beginning).

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I started with a Propane smoker , then wen to a charcoal smoker and I could not hold the temperature where I wanted it. I now use a Bradley electric digital smoker. I set the cook temp, I set the smoke time and the cook time and using a probe thermometer I know when the inside temp of the meat is correct to pull it out of the smoker. With the gas and charcoal I had to be by the smoker for the entire time and if it was windy it made it even harder. I love the electric, pretty much set it and forget it except for putting more wood in the smoke generator if it is a long smoke. This one. https://www.amazon.com/Bradley-Smoke.../dp/B000FJZ150
What an adventure, Oldtimr, and thanks for recommendations. Guess it's the only way to choose a right smoker - try them all first.
My guess is that pellet smokers are even more like "set and forget" since you don't have to add more pellets in process. That's why I'm leaning towards this option.
wanderer08 is offline  
Old 04-17-2020, 06:14 AM
  #5  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 569
Default

Depends on all your intended usage. The Treagers and similar pellet grills are also more suited to be used as a grill, for burgers etc. If you already have a grill and are looking purely for a smoker I think the electric ones are great. Can be cheap and are pretty much set it and forget it when it comes to temps. A decent electric smoker can be bought for a lot less then name brand pellet grills.
flyinlowe is offline  
Old 06-28-2020, 09:22 AM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 18,153
Default

Originally Posted by wanderer08 View Post
I have looked at the Traeger Pro and Pit Boss, so guess I would like to try pellet ones.
Gents, who cooks at home - for a backyard level wild game smoking, what would you recommend?

Would like to keep it under 1k.
I went with a Green Egg but I am smoking briskets and other overnight smoke meats. If I were only going to smoke wild game (and nothing overnight), I'd look closely at the Bradley that OT recommended. A lot of bang for your buck and minimal effort. You didn't specify which wild game meats you're smoking but the Bradley should be able to handle anything you're smoking.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 AM
  #7  
Spike
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 1
Default

This is very information thread but i need some information about electric smoker anyone can guide me?


robertsmi is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 AM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
Default

I am currently using masterbuilt ! Not the best, not the worst, affordable, Very good customer service also
grouch55 is offline  
Old 04-11-2021, 05:34 AM
  #9  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 569
Default

Last summer I ended up getting myself a Traeger and after 8 months or so I love it. I was concerned cooking everything on it would have an overwhelming smoke flavor, which my wife is not always a fan of. Burgers and things that don't cook to long have a great flavor. I have done longer low and slow smokes on ribs and most recently a brisket and the smoke ring was just as good as I had gotten with a traditional smoker.
Mine has wifi and I can monitor and control it from my phone which I love. Being able to put anything on it and not having to worry about flare ups is priceless.
flyinlowe is offline  
Old 08-21-2021, 02:02 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 120
Default

I built my own vertical propane smoker for hanging sausages/snack sticks. Also have racks for ribs and pretty much anything. Used a huge stainless mixing bowl at the bottom as a water pan.

IDK if they sell them anymore but academy used to have a pretty decent smoker line with 1/4" steel construction. For the price they were really good. Made in Mexico but the welds were acceptable and you're buying steel.

If you want something you can truly be proud of, check out this guy named Allen who posts his smoker builds on youtube. Allen's welding and woodworking. He does amazing work at really conservative prices. I would recommend 1/4" steel.
HogFL is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.