HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a smoker
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 11:06 PM
wanderer08
Spike

Originally Posted by grouch55
I went the way of wood chips as I have access to apple and maple tree,s to make my own, Do buy a little such as hickory when on sale, My Brother in law purchase da pellet 3 years ago and now wishes he didn't as price of pellets keeps rising, do now go cheap you will regret it whit snokers,
Thanks for the warning, grouch. So, which grill/smoker do you use? An electric one?
From what I've learned, it's grilling that uses the pellets at a really quick rate, but for smoking it could go for a long time between refills. We have an opportunity to get some really big bags from Lumberjack near us, so I believe it won't be a problem (at least for beginning).

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I started with a Propane smoker , then wen to a charcoal smoker and I could not hold the temperature where I wanted it. I now use a Bradley electric digital smoker. I set the cook temp, I set the smoke time and the cook time and using a probe thermometer I know when the inside temp of the meat is correct to pull it out of the smoker. With the gas and charcoal I had to be by the smoker for the entire time and if it was windy it made it even harder. I love the electric, pretty much set it and forget it except for putting more wood in the smoke generator if it is a long smoke. This one. https://www.amazon.com/Bradley-Smoke.../dp/B000FJZ150
What an adventure, Oldtimr, and thanks for recommendations. Guess it's the only way to choose a right smoker - try them all first.
My guess is that pellet smokers are even more like "set and forget" since you don't have to add more pellets in process. That's why I'm leaning towards this option.