Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Bear meat

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Spike

Default Bear meat

I was just wondering if anyone has tried eating bear meat. I'm not one to go kill something I don't intend to eat but I would like to try bear hinting. Only way I will though is if I find out that people like the meat. I get mixed reviews from it and was just wondering if anyone had personal experiences trying it. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Spike

I don't care for it to much but you can make the ground meat into chili but I would throw in some beef too.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have never had it, but those who have do like it. How it is cleaned, cooled and processed has a lot to do with the taste of meat. The diet will also have an affect.

A very important factor for lean meat is to cook it at a lower temperature. If you don't cook lean meat at a lower temp, it has a tendency to be tough, dry and burnt. Some add grease, but I prefer to slow cook or cook at a lower temp and not add any grease. It takes longer, but it is worth it.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

I ate a bear heart after it tried to kill me. My friend wounded it right at dark and when we went back the next morning we followed the blood trail...in a circle! I heard a noise behind me, kind of a jaw snapping noise! We unloaded slugs and rifles and finally put it down. I figured eating the heart was a macho thing... It was so tough I thought I was eating a 10 ply tire!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Spike

haha, that does sound macho! I don't eat heart from anything (Not my kind of thing) But If I do end up getting one I'll try the roast idea. Also thank you for the tip of cooking it slow or at low heat, it's not something I knew. Now the hard part is to find somewhere to actually hunt them and set up shop in the right place to actually get a shot!!! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

One of the complaints people will have with lean meat (even beef if it is around 90% lean or higher) is that it is dry and tough. Do you ever notice how people say they don't like lean meat except for chilli? A lot of chilli is slow cooked. Make sure the meat reaches the proper temp for food safety, but cook using a lower heat and increased cooking time. I will use a frying pan and cover it when doing steaks, chops or ground meat. If doing a roast, try using a slow cooker or a roaster with the temp turned down - again make sure the meat reaches the proper temp for food safety.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could've killed one 2 years ago and passed, one reason was the eating issue. Last year I ate with a guy who had killed a similar bear the day before I hunted the same area, it was fantastic. I mentioned how good it was and had my brother turn and say to me "You'll be killing the next bear now won't you?" with a grin on his face. There will be no mixed emothions next time.

The bear meat was from an old male of 560 pounds with 5" fat on it's back. Should've by all accounts been not so good. It's was some of the best stew I've ever had and I've had great stew many times before.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Spike

Don't be afraid of eating Bear. I cooked a roast with onion gravy. I did it in the oven just as I would a beef roast. It was so tender and juicy; Fantastic!!!

www.greatbowhunting.com
Old 06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. The more I hear about it the more I want to try it!!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bear roast is good. Not great but good if prepared correctly. I like to make my roast in a slow coooker or pressure cooker. For broth I use beef bullion cubes (3). Season with salt, pepper, onions, garlic and whatever else you want to throw in. You can also try to throw in some potatos and carrots and celery.
Chops and steaks, I like to bread with flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry it. Tehn bake for another 45 - 60 mins in a 350* overn. Both are tender and delicious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.