Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Great tasting venison steak

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great tasting venison steak

For those of you who like the taste of the steaks at Longhorn Steakhouse I found a real close taste. Those of you out west will more easily obtain Johnny's Seasoning Salt but I'm sure any seasoning salt will do. That and Fresh ground black pepper.
Here's all you do:
Trim all fat off the venison steak and remove the bone if present.
Season both sides with the seasoning salt and the fresh ground pepper. (hint - don't skimp on the pepper)
Put some oil in the bottom of a cast iron fry pan (enough to lightly cover the bottom the pan)
Get the oil hot over a medium high heat. You want to sear the meat to seal in the juices)
When the oil is hot, lay your steak in the pan.
I like to do mine 3 mins on each side which makes it about medium rare.
Comes out very tasty and tender.
Another tip I've learned is not to keep flipping the meat over from side to side. This dries the meat out and makes it tough.
Try it and enjoy.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

.....bronko.. How about sending a steak or two over, and I'll give it a try.. sounds yummy!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Spike

Sounds like it would be great; you should post that on a few recipe websites.

Originally Posted by Pawildman
.....bronko.. How about sending a steak or two over, and I'll give it a try.. sounds yummy!!
Agreed!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Spike

I cook my venison with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. my go-to combo for any red meat.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

I love the taste of steaks from outback steakhouse. It is supposed to be a big secret that the employees don't even know what is in the rub. Several web sites I have read say that powder taco seasoning is what they use. I need to try it sometime to see how it turns out.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember that when you season your steaks, you want to give the meat some time to "absorb" the seasonings. Approximately 15 minutes.

I love the taste of steaks from outback steakhouse.
I got a free steak dinner at out back a couple months ago, then took my wife to Texas Roadhouse a couple of nights later, I think Texas Roadhouse had the better steak.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

i think one of the most important components of a great steak is the heat you can cook it at. I never had a really good grill until last year when i got one for my bday (thanks baby ) and the difference is night and day. I cook my steaks at 600 to 700 degrees, 4 mins to a side and flip them once, and its done. Almost every steak i cook is better than what i get in all but the best restaurant.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

So.....what kind of grill is it mr scotty????
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

We sell a Blackening Spice that is awesome. I tenderize the venison steak with a tenderizer hammer and flatten it out very thin. Then season with the spice and fry it in a white hot cast iron skillet about 30 sec. per side most tender steak you will sink your teeth in. Also the Blackening spice is spicey so you use very little. I do the same with wild turkey breast meat slice it about 1/2 inch thick then hammer it until half the thickness. Talk about a great sandwich with either.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I think the normal run of the mill steak ordered off the menu Roadhouse does have a better steak then Outback. But I get my steak's cooked "Outback" style. You have to ask but it is a spice/seasoning they put on them. Sometimes I get the big ol prime rib, medium rare, Outback style. It is hard to beat.