Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need some new vensions recipes

Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default Need some new vensions recipes

I am attending a potluck dinner in a few weeks and need some new recipes to try out. All the dishes that I use my deer in aren't very potluck-friendly. Anyone have any good fingerfoods/casserole that use vension in them that are good for potlucks? thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Bruce County Spread
1 lb. leftover venison
1 cup pepper relish
1/3 cup onion, chopped fine
1/3 cup sweet pickle, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped fine
2 Tbs. mustard
½ cup mayonnaise

Grind leftover venison or run through a food processor. Combine pepper relish, onions, pickle, and celery and add to the meat. Stir in the mustard and Mayo to make a spread. Use in sandwiches or serve on crackers.

Hot Venison Dip
1 can refried beans
2 lbs. Ground venison
1 envelope dry taco mix
1 can enchilada sauce
1 jar taco sauce
3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup sour cream

Spread beans on the bottom of a 9x13 glass-baking pan. Brown burger, add taco mix, enchilada sauce, and taco sauce, mix well and pour over the beans. Spread cheese on top and bake in a 400 degree over for 15-20 minutes. Until bubbly. Remove and top with sour cream and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve with nacho chips.

Venison Pizza Bites
1 lb. Ground venison
1small onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 6 oz. Can tomato paste
½ tsp. salt
1 10 oz. Can of refrigerated biscuits
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Brown and drain venison, stir in tomato paste, onion and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat. Stirring often. Place biscuits in a greased muffin tin, pressing to cover the bottom and sides. Spoon about ¼ cup of meat mixture into biscuit lined cups and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Venison Stroganoff

Depending on the cut of meat (I use back strap) coat it in seasoned flour and brown it in butter and/or olive oil (if you use back strap
DON'T over cook it) and set it aside. Saute one yellow onion, five or six cloves of garlic and 3/4lb or so of fresh mushrooms (all sliced). When limp, add three bullion cubes, two cups of water and one package of McCormick stroganoff mix (or your own seasoning) and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir in one pint of sour cream (or Imo if worried about saturated fat) stir until dissolved, mix in the meat and serve over rice. This recipe will also work with curry or use paprika for Goulash. If you have a "tough" cut of meat, cube it, brown it, put it in enough water to cover it and bring to a boil and simmer for approximately one hour or until tender, then mix it as above. Enjoy!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

You can cut up a roast or shoulder chunk (the backstraps are mine damnit!!!), REALLY thin. I mean, razor thin. When your back is hurting from cutting so much, that the right thickness.
Take the meat, and "flash fry" it with some bacon and soy sauce. Sprinkle with ginger, a bit of curry, pinch of fresh garlic, salt and pepper.

You can also just use Worcheschire sauce, or Dales seaoning, etc. and a dab of liquid smoke.

Then throw in an onion, some bell peppers.

Presto:,
pepper-steak and onion. Either oriental style, or American style.

Serve with all those soy sauce packets you have in your kitchen drawer from the chinese place, if you make oriental style.
I serve it with some of those sesame stick crackers from Nabisco?

If you make it "American", you can serve with swiss cheese, mustard, horseradish, etc.
With biscuits.

Its always a hit when I make it, whatever time of season.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

Cut into desired size pieces. Mix together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup corn starch, 2 teaspoons garlic salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon onion powder, set aside. In seperate bowl beat 3 eggs, roll deer meat in eggs then in flour mixture. Fry in hot butter, bacon grease, or canola oil to desired doneness.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Dominant Buck

This is one of my best for hog or venison..This is what I do with my front shoulders..

Put shoulder in large crock pot.
Dump the entire contents ofa jar of greek peppers in the crock pot
Add 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
Cook on low for 9 hours
After 9 hours remove the roast..drain all liquid..replace in crock pot for 39 minutes
remove and serve..
Been a favorite for years..
You can also add cooked mushroom for that last 39 minutes and then roll the meat up in tortilla wraps..or eat on a roll..You won't find a more tender meat..no matter what the cut is on the hog or deer..
This happens to be venixon.
I seem to have trouble posting the picture..Just look in my hunting album and find the piotrure of the venison and Greek Peppers { -:
C7
Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
This is one of my best for hog or venison..This is what I do with my front shoulders..

Put shoulder in large crock pot.
Dump the entire contents ofa jar of greek peppers in the crock pot
Add 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder.
Cook on low for 9 hours
After 9 hours remove the roast..drain all liquid..replace in crock pot for 39 minutes
remove and serve..
Been a favorite for years..
You can also add cooked mushroom for that last 39 minutes and then roll the meat up in tortilla wraps..or eat on a roll..You won't find a more tender meat..no matter what the cut is on the hog or deer..
This happens to be venixon.
I seem to have trouble posting the picture..Just look in my hunting album and find the piotrure of the venison and Greek Peppers { -:
C7
Sounds good! I'm going to try it as soon as it's finished dethawing and aging. Only using 1/2 shoulder though, deboned. I assume you debone the thing, right? I don't know that I could fit an entire front shoulder in the crock pot!!

Now, why do you remove the liquid for that last, um "39" minutes?? LOL, sorry, I'm cracking a little bit on 39 minutes...how did you come up with 39? If I cook it 40 more minutes will it be ruined?

Anyway, so you drain the liquid only, correct? And leave the meat and peppers, etc in there. Are you having to separate the meat from the sinew, etc? Or does it just fall off? There's a lot of "extra" stuff in the front shoulder from what I've found.

Edit: Okay, picked up some peppers at the store, but I don't know they are exactly what you'd call Greek peppers! They are Poloponnese sweet pepper strips, "a product of Greece." Good enough? Net weight is 10.5 oz so I picked up two jars. Is one enough or should I use both??

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-22-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=venison
Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Dominant Buck

DO NOT DEBONE..
My wife said to check it after 5 hours..when the meat can be pulled off with a fork..it's done..REMEMBER to drain off juice...pull meat off the bone..the meat will fall off the bone.. and put back into the crock pot for about 20 minutes,Front shoulders are hard to debone thus the reason for this recipe..The meat will literally fall off the bone..the bones will be white and you can pull them out.There will be no reason for a knife either..the meat falls off the bone..

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7

DO NOT DEBONE..
My wife said to check it after 5 hours..when the meat can be pulled off with a fork..it's done..REMEMBER to drain off juice...pull meat off the bone..the meat will fall off the bone.. and put back into the crock pot for about 20 minutes,Front shoulders are hard to debone thus the reason for this recipe..The meat will literally fall off the bone..the bones will be white and you can pull them out.There will be no reason for a knife either..the meat falls off the bone..
Thanks! Actually, it's already deboned as I do that before I freeze it, so hopefully it will turn out okay anyway.

It's pretty easy to debone a front shoulder, IMO. It's just the only piece I don't separate into muscle groups. Lay the quarter on its flat side. Pressing with a thumb at the highest point will reveal a ridge of bone that runs across the entire shoulder. Use your knife to fillet off two pieces of meat: the wide, resting on the shoulder blade piece, and the thick, hanging "behind" the blade ridge piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.