Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 What I Had For Supper Last Night >

What I Had For Supper Last Night

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What I Had For Supper Last Night

Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Default What I Had For Supper Last Night

I set my cast iron dutch oven on the stove, medium heat. Melted a T of bacon grease in it. Took a shoulder blade roast, rubbed it with seasoning salt, browned it in there. Added most of a beer, turned it down, put the lid on and started preparing vegetables. I peeled and pared a half dozen medium potatoes, peeled and chopped a pound of fresh carrots, peeled and chopped a couple medium onions, crushed and minced a half dozen cloves of garlic. After the roast had simmered an hour, I added all the vegetables and some salt and pepper, simmered another hour. Then I took about a half cup of flour, put it in a jar with salt and pepper, added a cup and a halfof water, shook it up until all was dissolved. Added it slowly to the pot, cover and simmer another half hour.

It was gooooood!!! The meat fall off the bone. As good as any beef pot roast on the planet.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Default RE: What I Had For Supper Last Night

sounds good!

We did country fried backstrap, fried onions and potatoes.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM

I ate at Long John Silvers today and the shrimp was delicious, even had some left over to bring home to mom for her supper.

Feeding deer meat to a poor person and telling a story about how delicious it is - is like telling Ronald McDonald about how good a Big Mac is.

Once you eat it everyday for 6 months - the novelty wears out.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Yup this evening I hadback straps with a secret rub and then marinated in ranch dressing Grilled med rare on the Q ,mixed salad, baked potato. Pinot noir. Just roughing it.