Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers??? >

Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers???

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers???

Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers???

I basicly fry mine in a pan with butter,other then that in the crockpot just like bear meat,cover meat 3/4 up with water cook 4 hours med add potatos, carrets,spices cook another 4 hours(or so).squirrel dosnt take as long and I change the temp alittle.
You basicaly need to do it and find what works best for you.
O-ya.Bear meat stinks up the place when cooked like this but it melts in your mouth(somewhat)and is the only way I will eat it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Dyllan,

I've been killing squirrels for longer than I can remember, I 58 now. I've fried, boiled and fried, made stews out of them, wraped them in aluminum foil, you name it I've tried it. However, just this squirrel season, I was told of something so simple in their preparation to tenderness that it's embarrassing to think I never thought of it.

An old friend told me to get unflavored meat tenderizer, coat each squirrel heavy with it, put in a closed container and place in frigfor about 24 hours. Beforecooking, wash each one off.It was my turn to cook at our hunting club and I had 18 squirrels to cook, I tried it and it worked on most. I must admit, some of them couldn't be tenderized if left in the frig for a year, but most will. As some have told you, preboiling helps, but I believe you lose a lot of the flavor doing this.

dog1
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 AM

I hunt squirrels all the time with dogs. The best way I have found t cook them is the way my mother did. Cut the squirrels up and flour them. Fry them in a skillet and set aside. Once you're through frying take a pressure cooker and add the water. Line the cooker with aluminum foil and add fried squirrel in. Fold the foil over and cover with lid. Once the cooker starts pressurring up let it go for around 20 minutes. Cool it down and you have squirrel as tender as KFC original. UMMMMMM good....
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve.....DAYUM...!!!... That sounds good..!!...

I'd try it except for two little problems...

# 1 I don't have any squirrel thawed out ...

#2 My wife andI split up and I think SHE got the pressure cooker...[:@]...

Maybe I can talk her out of it, or if not, I'll buy another......

Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had some last night. I seasoned whole suirrels with brisket rub ad put them on the grill to the side of the fire and let them smoke about 20 minutes then I wrapped them up in foil pouring a little beer in there before sealing them up, put back in the pit to the side of the fire, kept heat around 250 dg. cooked them for another 1 1/2 hours. Took them out and they just fell apart, my buddys were licking there fingers they were that good.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 PM

me and my best friend shoot alot of squerals and we cooked em on rocks and in our soup cans boiled of course hmmmmm we put bbq sause on em and we did em all kinds of ways but you cant cook em too fast or youll be eating tree bark and roots and other stuff youll find in the bush
Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them in a stew. They come out tender. Yeah, I put one on the BBQ once. It was the first and last time.