HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/169420-squirrells-tough-little-suckers.html)

Dyllan 12-10-2006 12:45 PM

Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers???

Squirrell???? How do cook these little suckers with out them being so tough???

mallard stalker 12-10-2006 04:35 PM

RE: Squirrells,,,, tough little suckers???

You can fry it in a pan.

awshucks 12-10-2006 11:34 PM

I put the pieces [3 or 4 squ] in a crock pot. Either make your own bbq sauce w/ equal amts of Coke and Catsup for a start or use store bought. After about 6-8 hrs on low, I carefully lift the pieces out and let cool. Then, since I'm a nut about bones and gristle in my meat, lol, I strain the liquid to remove those two things and put it and de-boned meat back in c. pot. Then run on high w/ lid off to thicken sauce if needed. Works the same on rabbit and it's good!

Rebel Hog 12-11-2006 06:46 AM

Just like Southern Fried Chicken!:D

metaldonnieg 12-11-2006 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I put the pieces [3 or 4 squ] in a crock pot. Either make your own bbq sauce w/ equal amts of Coke and Catsup for a start or use store bought. After about 6-8 hrs on low, I carefully lift the pieces out and let cool. Then, since I'm a nut about bones and gristle in my meat, lol, I strain the liquid to remove those two things and put it and de-boned meat back in c. pot. Then run on high w/ lid off to thicken sauce if needed. Works the same on rabbit and it's good!
coke and ketchup? seriously? what do you do just mix it together and be done with it? I've gotta try that!

Big Guy01 12-11-2006 01:31 PM

They can be tough and rubbery if cooked too fast. Long and slow with lots of moisture in a crock pot or a pressure cooker gets it done a bit faster.

TxStarr 12-12-2006 02:45 PM

The younger ones are the ones you want to fry. The older ones are too tough unless you pressure cook them and then that is no guarantee. I use the old ones for dumplings.

TxStarr 12-12-2006 02:47 PM

The young ones are the ones you want to fry -- and they can get tough and rubbery if fried too long or too fast. The old ones I make dumplings out of. You can pressure cook them but that is no guarantee that they will be edible. I will have to try the BBQ recipe -- it sounds delicious!! My dad loves squirrell but there was only so much my grandmother did with them.

Saxman1819 12-12-2006 04:06 PM

Cut up into pieces and throw them into water. Don't forget the back of the squirrel and not just the legs. Now bring to boil and let boil/simmer for at least an hour. Keep testing the meat until it is more tender. This will also help to get more hair off of the meat.

Then take out of water and pat dry. Run through an egg wash and batter up with seasonings and flour of your choice. Then fry till crunchy. That is good eating. :D

skidder 12-14-2006 02:47 PM

I gotta go catch me some squirrel...

Question: Whats the best way to catch these guys.... snares?