Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

best way to cook backstraps

Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Default RE: best way to cook backstraps

cut into 1" pieces, beat thin with a meat hammer, season with pepper, garlic salt, and Dales steak sauce. Roll tightly and wrap with a piece of bacon securing it with a toothpick. After all pieces have been prepared marinate with the remaining Dale's for 2 hours. Grill over medium coals till done......NOT OVER DONE!!!!! Do not try to cook till the Bacon looks done this will over cook the Backstrap.
My 2 boys pefer this too any store bought steak
Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

What's the deal with that Dale sauce?..one of my buddys raves about that stuff....
Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I take a foot long chunk of backstrap and inject it with Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet barbecue sauce and various spices.Then I wrap it completely with bacon, place it on the "cold" side of the grille and 2 hours later you have the most tender, juicey venison you ever tried.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I aint heard a bad recipie for that piece O meat yet! What I want to find is a deer/elk hunter that doesnt like the taste of the meat! I got to get to know that fella. EJ
Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 PM

Could use the texas crutch.....put the meat on the foil, sprinkle canadian steak seasoning, wrap it and put it on the grill for 15 min.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: kevin1

One way that I really enjoy is to cut it into chunks , bread them , and deep fry them . Hey , I'm Southern , we deep fry everything !
I never did like fried backstraps. But tried again. This time I got the oil nice and hot. Put some old bay on em, little paparika, breaded, and cut into smaller chucks. It was dynomite.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just cooked some backstraps this past saturday night. My recipe may seem long, but it is excellent and not so complicated as it seems.

Backstrap (20-24 oz)
Heavy cream
6 Juniper berries, crushed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 cup pinot noir red wine
1/4 cup cognac
1/2 cup beef broth
flour
oil

Cut the backstrap into 1/2" thick steaks. I butcher my game myself. I take the long (maybe 24" long) venison backstrap and cut it in half and package it in one meal packageas two halves. I only cut into steaks when I unthaw to cook.

Marinade the backstrap steaks overnight in 1/2 cup red wine, the crushed juniper berries, the thyme, and crumbled bay leaf. I marinade in a one gallon zip-lock plastic bag and periodically turn the bag over in the refrigerator.

Take the steaks out of the marinade and reserve the marinade for making the gravy. Pat dry with a paper towel. Salt and pepper the first side. Dredge this salt/peppered side in flour. Turn onto floured side. Salt and pepper the other side and dredge that side in flour.

Heat the oil in a stainless steel or non-stick frying pan (a pan that will not interact with the acid of the wine). Use about 3 tablespoons of oil. I cook this on pretty high heat and the oil is just less than smoking temperature. If you have to cook the steaks in more than one session, add more oil for the second session. Cook 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a pre-heated platter in the oven and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Don't leave these in a oven with fire in it or they will continue to cook and overcook!

Pour the reserved marinade -- including the pieces of juniper berries and other spices -- into the frying pan. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of wine, the beef broth,and the cogac. Boil these liquids down a lot, maybe until
maybe 1/3 cup of liquid is remaining. Asa processimprovement, perform this reduction in a separate pan before the meat is cooked so you don't spend so much time on this step when the steaks have already been cooked. Add about 1/2 to 2/3 cup heavy cream. Stir. Bring to a boil and keep stirring until you like the thickness of the gravy. When you are happy with the thickness, add salt to taste (don't add salt earlier as the saltiness will increase as you continue to boil down the liquids!).

Serve the venison steaks and the gravy in a separate bowl. This is really good.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

Cut them into peices about 3/8 of an inch. coat with flour and mcormicks MONTREAL STEAK SEASONING. fry in BUTTER till brown. HMMM, HHMMMM, GOOODDDD.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Garminator

What's the deal with that Dale sauce?..one of my buddys raves about that stuff....
It's 90% soy sauce if that tells you anything . I prefer Allegro Game Tamer or teryaki , which is also soy based , Dale's is just too salty .
Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Do it the old camp way - butterfly them and fry them with butter and onions. Then save the juices for a fried heart and liver dinner. Yummy, can't wait until fall.

Quick Reply: best way to cook backstraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.