Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer sticks

Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM

Default deer sticks

Can anyone tell me how to make deer summer sausage and deer sticks. I need a receipe that does not require the use of a smoker. I know how to make jerky but I am interested in making the deer sticks and summer sausage.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer sticks

OK. Let me try to translate the smoking recipe into a plain one The smoking imparts smoke flavor which some people don't like or need.
For 10 lbs

1 Tbls ground black pepper
5 Tbls salt
4 Tbls powdered dextrose
6 Tbls corn syrup solids
1 Tbs ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powdre (optional)
2 tsp instacure no. 1
8Lbs Venison
2 Lbs pork trimmings (fat)
1 1/4 cups fermento

Grind all meat through a 3/16" plate the fat through a 3/4" or cubed to 3/4". Put all ground meat and cubed fat into a mixer and add all the rest of the ingrediants, mix well. After thoroughly mixing ,place into a non reactive bowl or crock. (not alum or copper). and refrigerate for 2 days. (that's where the fermento comes into play) Regrind all through 3/16" plate.
Pack tightly into stuffer without any air pockets. Stuff into 2 1/2- 2 3/4 beef middles or fibrous casings.
Hang and dry at room temp for 4-5 hours. Place in smoke house or where ever else you intend to cook them. (preheated to 120-130 degrees). Here's where you would add soke for 3-4 hours. But in you case just let them hang out for the same time. Then after the 3-4 raise the temp to 165 degrees and cook untill the internal temp reaches 145 degrees. When that is complete remove and rinse with cold water till the internal temp. drops to 120 degrees. Hang for 1-2 hours to dry at room temp. out of any breezes. Place in fridge for 24 hrs before serving or cutting open.

note, when the oven or meat temp reaches over 160 degrees the fat turns into oil and you will ruin you product. Hence the use of smokehouses with controlled low temperature heat. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Man it sucks typing with one finger at a time.[:'(]

Old 07-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Thank you JerseyHunter for answering my post. I am very new to this site and also hunting. Last season was the first time ever in my 29 yrs of going hunting much less shooting a deer. My doe was not very big but it still was a thrill for me. I took the meat to a processor and for the money I paid to have it done I was not impressed. I had made my own jerky and it lasted about a week in my household so I figured why not try to make my own summer sausage.

I have one more question and I am not trying to be dense but when I go to cook the meat can I use my regular oven with an internal thermother to watch the temp. I am not a country person by no long shot just married to a redneck and so of all this is kinda foreign to me. Also how much of a difference does it make in the taste if not done in a smokehouse.

Thanks again for the help

Heather
Old 07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might be able to do it in the oven if your oven ill get that low, Maybe leave the door ajar to regulate it. If you want some smoke flavor just add a teaspon of liquid smoke to your mix.PS, Welcome to the site.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can also purchase the sausage kits from Cabela's and a few other places. We buy the kits from Cabela's, around $14, they have all the seasons and casings, and comes complete with instructions. I believe a kit does around 15 lbs of meat. We really like the summer sausage. My wife cooks ours in the oven, and like said above, she leaves the door open to regulate it. Don't be afraid to try them, they're very good. We chop up fresh Garlic and put it in the summer sausage. As for the deer sticks, they were pretty good. We tried stuffing the casings using the elec. grinder, and it doesn't work very well for that small of a casing. I would recommend using a hand stuffer for the small casings, the larger summer sausage worked great to stuff with the grinder. good luck.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:19 PM

All measurements are level
5lbs deer or beef (ground)
4 tlbs. tender quick
2 1/2 tea. mustard seed
1 1/4 tea. hickory smoke salt
2 1/2 tea. coarse black pepper
1/2 tea garlic powder (not salt)
1 1/4 tea. liquid smoke

mix all ingredients
put in fridge for 2 days
squeeze onto cookie sheet using 1/2 inch tube
bake at 350 for 10 to 15 min. per side
air cool to dry some, then refridgerate

this recipe was orig. for loaves. If you would like to try that then seperate mix into4 equal loaves and put in fridge for3 days. cook at 350 for 1/2 hour per side.

Like any recipe. Try this one first then modify to taste.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:34 AM

I am also new to this my son wanted me to try making some summer sauage. How do you store the summer sauage after making a batch. Surly you do not have to eat it all within a couple of days.

Thanks Bones