Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Newby Archer Question >

Newby Archer Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newby Archer Question

Old 09-17-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Newby Archer Question

While I have hunted for several decades, this year is my first time bow hunting. Be gentle with me please! lol

I was wondering if there was a thread discussing the differences between mechanical and fixed broadheads?

Edited by - PABowhntr on 11/01/2002 01:15:09
Old 09-17-2002, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Newby Archer Question

Welcome and don't be shy about asking questions.(Every now and then a firestorm erupts but mostly the discussions are VERY informative)
There are several about the mech vs fixed broadhead in the Bowhunting and also the Technical forums.

Also check out 5-shots broadhead reviews as they are VERY good and unbiased. Thanks 5-shot!

Good Luck!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-19-2002, 05:35 PM

Both broadheads will do the trick. I have used both in the past and taken deer. I use fixed now for no special reason. I do beleive you need more speed for machanicals than fix. Acurrecy is the key to taken large game animals. I use Wasp sst with chiselpoint.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info!

----------------------

I eat, therefore I Hunt!
"Vegetarian" - also translated as "Bad Hunter"!!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have used both mech and fixed and I think the best one is the mech and I use the Rocket Miniblasters they weigh 75gr. Then there are other made by Rocket with heavier weight. Don't be affraid to ask i wasn't. Later
Old 09-26-2002, 10:01 AM
Spike

Im gonna let u in on my story.....i started bowhunting three years ago and since then i have shot many deer. i have shot 4 with mechanical, and about 5 with fixed blade, muzzy and so forth, but the 4 i have shot with the mechanical broadheads were never found, one this year. but thats just me, but if u do go with mechanical...DO NOT USE BLOOD TRAILERS!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:01 PM

I used Thunderhead 100s for a while and had good luck with them. Then I started using Spitfire 100s three years ago and they work great. Seven deer and seven pass throughs. You need arrow weight more than speed. A lot of people think speed is what you need, but if the weight is not there you will not get good penetration. Just think what would do the most damage, a VW bug hitting something at 65MPH or a big Mack truck hitting something at 45MPH. My hunting arrows with the Spitfire weights 439grains. Good luck on whatever head you use.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've toyed with the ideal of trying mechs but i've heard to many negative things about them. I'm a firm believer that if it's not broken don't fix it. I've always shot Thunderheads and they've never let me down so i think i'll stick with them.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:38 PM

Hello archers! I'm a 48 year old city-raised guy currently enjoying my first year as a hunter. Right now I'm just hunting small game with a shotgun here in N.J. I like my new-found interest and want to accelerate my plans to become a bowman & go for deer.
I originally promised myself a Matthews Legacy but pricing reality is setting in and I'm looking at possibly buying the PSE Nova v4. I want the 75% letoff and plan to stick with shorter distance shots. Your opinions please?
Does anyone here know if the Nove v4 can be fitted with an aftermarket vibration dampening system? I recently read about one in American Hunter that mounts to the bolts fastening the limbs to the riser?
Also: Anyone here care to post a basic check list of the basic items needed for an entry level bow hunt?
Thanks in advance, hope you are all having a great season.
-BB-