Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Any tips on using Wildlife Research Drippers? >

Any tips on using Wildlife Research Drippers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any tips on using Wildlife Research Drippers?

Old 10-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any tips on using Wildlife Research Drippers?

Any hot tips on using the drippers from Wildlife Research? I have one set up for the first time on a hot scrape just about 100 yards north of the house. Our shotgun season starts on Monday and I want to get this buck with a bow before those dog hunters get in here and chase everything out of the county. I've had it there for yesterday and today so far and I'm using some premium doe estrus from hunter specialties in it, just one ounce. I've set up blind 20 yards side wind from the scrape. I've got rattling horns and a good grunt call but should I use them right away or wait a bit? I've got time tomorrow to hunt and Saturday. Should I skip the morning and wait a while to go out or should I just make sure I'm there before the tempature starts rising ( activates the dripping ). I'm not sure because I never used them before and just thought I would ask some of you folks who have and try to get this big buck that's stickin his big foot in that scrape.
Thanks in advance..........

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html
Old 10-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any tips on using Wildlife Research Drippers?

Since I have been using Ultimate Scrape Drippers for years, and since I am on the Pro Staff for Wildlife, I should probably tell you the first thing you are doing wrong is using scent from HS in the dripper, but I won't. I won't tell the guys at Wildlife either.

The first thing you should have done was pour about a half a bottle of Golden Estrus (from Wildlife) in the scrape, to let the bucks know the dripper (or a fake doe) is/has been there.

You can hunt in the morning, just be sure to get in well ahead of time. Because you can't see in the dark, but the deer can hear, see and smell you if they around (as they usually are at night) be sure you go in early enough to let the area settle down. And pay attention to the wind. If it is blowing from you to the area you want to hunt, don't hunt there.

You can use the call and horns after you have been on stand for about a 1/2 hour, which should give things time to settle down, and your scent ot dissipate.

Got more questions? Ask and you shall receive.

Ask here or e-mail me direct.

T.R. Michels
[email protected]

T.R. Michels
Old 10-31-2002, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Actually T.R., I did pour a third of a bottle of Golden Estrus into the scrape. The bottle was left over from last year though. But thanks again for your reply and I did recieve your book list, thank you very much. Now I'm going to get that buck. Thanks for the info.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html
Old 10-31-2002, 06:42 AM

If that Golden Estrus scent has any natural urine or oils from real critters in it, it may have gone south on you over the past year. Can you tell I'm a synthetic enthuiast? Anyway, if it smelled very Ammonia like, then it went bad on you and you may spook deer with it. Just my opinion.

-Brad
Eastern Nebraska Bowhunter
Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Brad, can you elaborate on the shelf life of natural scents? I've never given that any thought.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless they're synthetic, I throw out all leftover scents after a season. Outhouse smell is what spooks deer, and that's what you get after a year in my experience.

Old 10-31-2002, 02:26 PM

I just put up a Scent Dripper on Tuesday and I am letting it sit till Saturday morning. I am using Active Scrape and set it up next to an existing scrape. I will let you know Saturday if it will work.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:35 PM

T R what is the maximun amount of scent that can be put in a dripper and it still function correctly....1.25 oz ? and how long will it run per filling?

any plans to come out with a larger one? One of my best places to hunt is 3.5 hours away....sometimes 2 weeks between visits there for me

** I almost got him but I refuse to take a marginal shot **
Old 10-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long does an ounce of scent last in the scrape dripper?

Old 10-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I checked it this morning and the one that I dumped that old Golden Estrus in was all tore up. I didn't see any deer though. I'll try in the morning.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick