Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newby Question

Old 08-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Newby Question

I have 2 questions. First, should i shoot the same arrows i practice with while hunting or should i have a spare set that i use only for hunting? Do i need to re-sight my bow if i get a different brand of arrows?

Second, should i have a set G5 Strikers broadheads that i only use for the field and another set only for target practice?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Newby Question

ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

I have 2 questions. First, should i shoot the same arrows i practice with while hunting or should i have a spare set that i use only for hunting?
If your arrows are straight and shooting perfect, there is no reason why you can't use those arrows for hunting assuming they are "hunting" arrows. (of adequate size/weight etc..)

Do i need to re-sight my bow if i get a different brand of arrows?
Most likely especially if the new arrows are a different diameter, weight etc... it's likely you'll have to retune first and then resight particularly if they are of different diameters.

Second, should i have a set G5 Strikers broadheads that i only use for the field and another set only for target practice?
There is no reason to field and target practice, just have extra blades available. If I only have 6 heads, I'll use one set of blades to practice with and change them from head to head/arrow to arrow which leaves 5 brand new sets of blades for hunting. NEVER use a once shot blade for hunting. Change the blades and be sure.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is what I do.

Should i shoot the same arrows i practice with while hunting or should i have a spare set that i use only for hunting? I do not. I have practice arrows and arrows that I use exclusively for hunting. There all the same size arrows, fletching design, weight, etc.

Do i need to re-sight my bow if i get a different brand of arrows? Yes you may have to.

Should i have a set G5 Strikers broadheads that i only use for the field and another set only for target practice? I would. I use a set for practice and a set for hunting only.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

I have 2 questions. First, should i shoot the same arrows i practice with while hunting or should i have a spare set that i use only for hunting?
If your arrows are straight and shooting perfect, there is no reason why you can't use those arrows for hunting assuming they are "hunting" arrows. (of adequate size/weight etc..)

Do i need to re-sight my bow if i get a different brand of arrows?
Most likely especially if the new arrows are a different diameter, weight etc... it's likely you'll have to retune first and then resight particularly if they are of different diameters.

There is no reason to field and target practice, just have extra blades available. If I only have 6 heads, I'll use one set of blades to practice with and change them from head to head/arrow to arrow which leaves 5 brand new sets of blades for hunting. NEVER use a once shot blade for hunting. Change the blades and be sure.

what he said
Old 08-10-2008, 05:56 PM

are the spare set of arrows the same grain/make?
i use the same arrows that i practice with for hunting also. y not, i know they all fly good.

always shoot your bow if you get different kinds of arrows. and yes, you may need to sight it in for that arrow.

NEVER shoot your hunting broadheads into a target, unless your never going to hunt with them. keep your broadheads extreeeeemly sharp.

if i buy 6 broadheads, i will take 1 to practice with, and keep the other 5 for hunting.