Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leafy camo or regular? >

Leafy camo or regular?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leafy camo or regular?

Old 03-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leafy camo or regular?

I am buying some new camo with sentloc. Some say its a waste of money others will not hunt w/o it. I want to go light weight so I can wear it in hot weater or put other layer under it. I have narrowed my choices down to Cabelas leafy camo or the sentloc savanna. I like the leafy camo but when the trees fall will I stick out like a sore thumb? I also like to do some stalking, I worry about how loud it will be. Up here in Maine, there are not any store that have either of these and before I order them I was hoping for a few review. Any one have any experience with either cabelas leafy camo or the savanna?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leafy camo or regular?

I don't have any experience with that particular leafy camo but I do have a ASAT leafy suit and it works awesome. The leaf effect blends in awesome.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Bigbuck,
I would think that the leafy camo would work nicely since you have mentioned in the past that you hunt a lot during the early, extended archery season. Also would work well when you go down south on your hog hunt
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 AM

I actually own an advantage timber savanna suit that I bought of ebay for last spring for $90.00. I wasn't really loking for scent loc, I was looking for coveralls and it was cheaper for scentloc on ebay then it was for just plain old camo coveral so I bought it.

I found the advantage timber pattern worked well for me from York Co to Hancock Co Maine as well as in Strafford and Coos Co in NH. The type of cover varries quite a bit with mostly hardwoods and creek bottons in the southern counties and thick dense spruce/mixed hardwoods in the northern counties. I had numerous deer within bowrange and was busted only on a couple of occasions. (both were my fault and due to movement in stand). Although the savanna suit is light it dosen't breath very well. I often put it on and walked to my stand with it unzipped until I got close to my tree and then I'd zip it up. Once settled into stand I found the savanna suit to be very comfortable and quiet.

I don't have much experience with leafy camo so I'm no help in comparison there.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions please ask. I'll do my best to give you an honest insiteful answer.

Where about are you from Bigbuck?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM

I hunt in a lot in the expanded archery season here in Maine and have found in September I almost always reach for my leafy 3-d for camo. Sometimes it's really warm in the early season and have found I can wear very little under the 3-d and be comfortable. You can also wear a bug suit under it easily. As the weather cools off i layer more under to stay warm. Once the late October hits and the leaves start falling I change over to Predator fall brown, but sometimes wear the 3-d bottoms to just mix it up. Late season I go with Predator Fall Grey. The 3-d stuff really increases your options for being versital, it is also great for Turkey hunting. my 2 cents
Old 03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Adams, I live up in oakland in the expanded zone. I can hunt from sept till dec. I really like the savanna because I figure I can wear it in sept or Nov with a fleece under it. Do you think the sent loc is worth extra money. Last year I was busted by deer I didn't even see. I just kept hearing them blow. I dont think they saw me either they just winded me. The wind wasn't blowing that day but they were down hill of me. I was hoping the sentloc might give me a slight edge.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Adams, I live up in oakland in the expanded zone. I can hunt from sept till dec. I really like the savanna because I figure I can wear it in sept or Nov with a fleece under it. Do you think the sent loc is worth extra money. Last year I was busted by deer I didn't even see. I just kept hearing them blow. I dont think they saw me either they just winded me. The wind wasn't blowing that day but they were down hill of me. I was hoping the sentloc might give me a slight edge.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Eider,
Where did you get your camo? I found some in cabela that I like but I can't find a store here in Maine that carries any.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:39 PM

I personally am a scent freak but not a big believer in scantloc, espically for the price. IMO it can't hurt you but I don't think it is worth the money. I checked ebay and found virtually the identical auction that I had bought from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

90$ but they're stamped irregular. The one I have had 3-4 very small holes that were repaired at the scentloc facility. If you click on the thub tab pictures you can see how well they were repaired.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Off the subject, how did you do in the extended season up your way. I'm lucky enough to hunt the southern extended zone in York Co. Lots of deer running around down here and plenty of time to hunt them.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:01 PM

3d leafy can only help in my opinion. It helps break up the outline. You might just have to trim the arm a little so that nothing gets stuck in your string if you are bowhunting.

Quick Reply: Leafy camo or regular?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.