Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

So, which of these is comparable to your two pics, datamax? Which is archery?

Lest you think both are shootin' rifles, like my wife did, note the quiver on the guy's hip in the top pic.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or this........

Old 03-18-2005, 03:58 PM

Arthur P - Its obvious he's shooting a bow - what fool would place arrows down inside the barrel of a gun ?

Want to know something really crazy that'll freak these guys here out ? Cross the border between Arkansas and Kansas with that crossbow and it magically transforms from a BOW into a GUN. I know, I know, I don't quite understand the magic behind it myself, but these guys here SWEAR its not a bos, that its a gun and I know for a FACT Arkasnas doesn't allow guns in archery season.

Its a weird world we live in, isn't it ?

Matt / PA I did notice you never called that kid that killed a deer with his crossbow a lazy slob bowhunter wannabe or anything like that. I noticed you didn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I wonder why ?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:59 PM

All bow down and worship Datamax and his break dance kid, it's what your looking for. Assassin did you read the entire post? Try reading the whole thing before posting, ADD or what? Datamax you bash any opinion that is diffirent from yours get a clue you weren;t hunting 40 year ago so settle down you only picked up a long bow after watching lord of the rings 100 times. Time to approach women without being "creepy". Here is a negative affect, You don't hunt My land with a crossbow unless you have a physical disability. If you do have a physical disibility then I might even buy you a tag, fly you in, and give you a cross bow so you can join us.

I'm killing pigs this weekend see you all monday.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

...what fool would place arrows down inside the barrel of a gun ?
The guy who's got one of these! The AIRROW Rimfire arrow shootin' drop-in barrel for the Ruger 10/22 or 77/22

www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

So, how far down the slippery slope are you willing to let things go? This is the next step beyond crossbows. Here's a quote from their website:

In the archery industry Swivel Machine Works is known as the manufacturer of the world’s fastest and most accurate archery products.
See? Just like the crossbow crowd, they call their product 'archery' too.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

quote:

I liken it to saying, regarding muzzleloaders that a cap & ball is easier than a flintlock & its allowed during muzzleloader so why cant I use my 30/06?

Oh , geeeez, are you reading what you type ? A crossbow and compound - 2 limbs, a string, the energy stored and released into the arrow ........ same concept. A muzzleloader is NOT the same critter as a high powered rifle (though the gap is closing by leaps and bounds) Its been covered already HOW they are different.
I agree theyre different & so is a crossbow. A crossbow is better than a compound by more of a margin than a rifle is to a muzzleloader IMO. I am not against them per se, just being realistic. Theres no way that a weapon you can load & wait indefinately to fire does not have advantages to a hand drawn bow. I guess once a long time ago people may have argued over compounds & stick bows but thats a different arguement & seems to have been decided. This arguement has also been decided as well or they would be legal everywhere. The very fact that an acception has to be made shows that to most people a crossbow isnt a bow, its a crossbow.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:25 PM

WHOA !!!!!!!!! Aint that an ultra cool, bitchin looking weapon !

Awe, dammit man, it doesn't have LIMBS and it doesn't use a string to deliver the energy to the arrows.

Ahh well, I though you have a loophole for a minute. We can all go back to our vertical limb technolgoy, cams, wheels, cam and a halfs, mechcanical, triggered releses, peeps, SIMS from hell, split carbon limbs, machined aluminum riers, fiber pins, dop away rests and sleep easy tonight that we're true He Men bowhunters using hard to master equipment that challenged the archers in us.

yeah right
Old 03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the links Matt and Arthur! High fives are in order to the both of you! Slam dunk!

I knew I had seen and heard about the arrow shooting GUN before but could not find the current information on it. Hmmm, very similiar in that both a crossbow and the gun have a stock, are shouldered, use a fixed trigger, and loose an arrow. Then I suppose Datamax would propose both are archery equipment? I THINK NOT!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt / PA I did notice you never called that kid that killed a deer with his crossbow a lazy slob bowhunter wannabe or anything like that. I noticed you didn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Nope, just a product of the imaginary "Have to have success immediately or we'll lose interest and give up generation"

IMO he should have learned like most of us did........shooting a fiberglass bow at an early age, maybe join the cub scouts, practice practice practice with your real bow and arrows dreaming of the day when you are really old enough and responsible enough to be hunting with adults. Of course that involves work and time and guidance, all of which seem to be at a premium these days with many parents and kids.

Lets make everything as easy as we can for kids........god knows they'll just go find something else to do without immediate success.

Maybe you can speak with the now 12yr old grandson of a co-worker who I have been tutoring in archery since he was 10.....who is so excited to take his hunter safety exam and shoot his bow any chance he gets. The same kid who I have provided with bows , arrows, and my time and knowledge.
Give the kids the right guidance and teaching, helping them learn as they grow and wait their chance to hunt along side us when they are a little more mature mentally to understand what taking a life really is.
If you feel the savior to hunting is throwing a 5 or 7 yr old kid in a box blind with a crossbow or a rifle just so he can kill something to keep his interest away from his Playstation or Spongebob movies, your views on the future of hunting and the role our youth will play is criminally sad.

I feel much better about handing the reigns to my 12yr old friend than the kid who's picture you posted........I may be wrong, but I like my chances of this thing actually STICKING and becoming a lifelong pursuit with it done the right way rather than handing a kid the power to kill combined with instant success at an age where their heros and role models are still little purple and yellow characters.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never used to think it would be a problem until just recently while thinking about another current thread (passin the buck).

I remember when archery was considered a challenge in itself and any buck harvested with a bow was considered a trophy to everyone. I'm not talking 40 years ago either. The "any deer with a bow is a trophy" mentality was quite popular even 20 years ago , even with compound shooters.

Nowadays it seems that compound technology is so advanced that a great deal (if not the majority) of bowhunters who claim they "bowhunt for the challenge" have turned to strictly harvesting trophy bucks to up the challenge and encouraging everyone else to do the same.

What would crossbows do for that mentality? Anything smaller than 180" of antler should be hid in the trunk of your car for fear of shame (unless it's your first buck of course) and ridicule from the mighty trophy hunters?

I say we (bowhunters) should all "up the challenge" and go back to recurves and longbows. It was alot more fun back then I'll tell you that! You could shoot a spike and you'd have high fives from the boys at the check station or local watering hole.

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.