Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 outfitter wont allow 100 gr >

outfitter wont allow 100 gr

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

outfitter wont allow 100 gr

Old 02-24-2005, 12:23 PM

Default RE: outfitter wont allow 100 gr

Well it's good to be back after the long siesta, Many are right his game his rules, while 100 grains will do fine on just about everything in the world, i agree with gibblet , he must have had a few too many bad archers, which would explain the 125 min. My advice go on the trip have a good time, change your setup to 125, it's easier to do with mech's but if he wants a fixed blade, that's ok too , it will probably take a little time to do it. Make sure you mark your sight so you know where you were when you were shooting 100 grains, it will make things easier for you. I understand that it could be a big pain in the butt, but he's got your money, it may take years to get it back from him. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

nubo, extreme1, TerryM, Allegiance05, and any other Canadian's who are members here. I want to apoligize for our fellow bone head american's remark about Canadians in general. That too pisses me off I have several good friends who live here in Idaho but are from Canada. They are not hunters but are all very good people, I hope to someday hunt Canada and I don't think of it any differently than going to another state to hunt. If you lived closer I would invite you all to a dinner that a bunch of us from here in hunting net are having in Salt Lake City Utah this next month. There is a Sportsman Expo and a elk calling contest in SLC that should be a lot of fun and were having a dinner/get toghether to boot. I promise you that with hunters and people like elkcrazy8, elknut1, gselkhunter, rather_be_huntin, robbin hood36, and myself and others who will come to the expo and dinner. That we couldn't care less if you were from tim buck too. All that is required is that you have to be willing to put up with a lot of talk about elk and elk hunting and to have a lot of fun. If anyone wants to come an meet up with us pleaes let me, or any us off know and we will give you instructions to where to meet and the dates of the dinner and expo. My overall point is all I don't care were you are from or where you live now, people are people, and hunters are hunters, and they are all equal in my book. Also if any of you Canadan's want to elk hunt and you bear hunt, let me know I would love to guide you as a friend and take you elk bowhunting. Of course I would want to bear hunt with you as a friend in Canada someday. Jason

PS Also for any intrested in our little get together in SLC stay tuned in the Big Game forum here in hunting net. We talk about it and our making plans their.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Start shooting 125's

although it won't make much of a difference
Old 02-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

errym, i've never hunted a bear, but was told by those who have, and i'm thinking of going with at some point, that it was actually easier to penetrate than a white tail. is that true?
Can't see how that makes sense. If comparing an average deer (160 lb buck) to an average black bear ( also close to 160 lbs) then you have to take into consideration the very large shoulder bones and muscles in the bear. What the real difference is that every now and then a large bear show up and they can hit 400-500 lbs. Never seen a 400 lb deer yet. Also the hair on a bear and hide and fat can be quite thick. Look in most cases a bear is more scared of you than you are of him, but I know people who have had walls torn off thier hunt camps by black bears who smelled food inside. I have also witnessed a sow fight with a boar over a bait while her 3 cubs were in a tree not 10 ft from me, and I will never treat a bear, any bear lightly!!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard the same things from multiple guys that have bear hunted quite a bit. Most all of them say it's as easy to get pass throughs on average size bears as it is on whitetails. The shoulder on a whitetail is heavy bone and muscle as well so that's really a moot point. I don't shoot for shoulders so I don't consider it an issue. The real issue is how much difference is there on a double lung shot. Most of the guys that I have talked to say there is very little. If I do hit shoulder, well that's why I am shooting a setup with around 80 lbs of KE. In either case it's going to be an accident but I will be in as good of a situation as possible if it does occur on either animal.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to apoligize for our fellow bone head american's remark about Canadians in general. That too pisses me off I have several good friends who live here in Idaho but are from Canada.
No need to apoligize for the simple minded comments of others but appreciated still. As to the bear hunt, unfortunately our lame assed liberal government makes non resident bear hunting only available through licensed outfitters, which I am not. I would only be too glad to guide you to a blackie if I could. I travel to the states every year, hunted antelope this past October in Wyoming and in fact have travelled quite a bit throughout Europe also and if I had to leave my home it would be a no brainer I would be moving in with you guys. I have never met nicer people than in the USA. Pretty damn set in thier ways and very patriotic but that is not a bad thing at all. We are all cut from the same camo!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I do hit shoulder, well that's why I am shooting a setup with around 80 lbs of KE. In either case it's going to be an accident but I will be in as good of a situation as possible if it does occur on either animal.
I fully agree. No one should try shoulder shots on big game animals. Given your setup you have plenty of punch for bear. You really should do a bear hunt. There is nothing like the feeling of having a bear turn its head and look at you when you are at full draw knowing he could be up that tree and in your face as fast as you can say OH CRA* !!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Idahoeelkinstructor!

Thank's for the kind word's and I wish i was able to come to your dinner I think it would be a blast whether talking deer ,bear or whatever you guy's prefer to hunt .I have many stories that I could share as well. And as for the elk hunt I just might have an interest in that for sure .
And as for the idiot running this bear camp ......well I can't explain his problem ,broadhead's explode ....yea right .... these are his rule's and I guess you'll have to follow them ,But I'm sure if you spend a little time it wouldn't be a problem getting setup for a fall hunt, since we have no spring hunt, thank's to our great government.And as for bear's being easy to getting pass thru's, then they must be talking about the little guy's. A bear has a smaller vital zone,so accuracy is the trick to being successful when hunting bears. The hide is a whole lot thicker than a deer and as Terry has said the hide and hair is very thick and can be tough at time's to penetrate. The bear is part of the hogg family and has no chest just like a hogg so shot's from the front are impossible, and we all know how tough it can be to hunt hogg's. The only way to shoot a bear is from the side, and a shoulder shot will almost gaurantee a lost bear .

nubo
Old 02-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Whats it matter? Put a 125 grain on the thing and turn the poundage down a little. Whats the big deal?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read all 5 pages. So if I repeat what someone else has already said, sorry. But what difference does the broadhead weight make? Total arrow weight would be more appropriate to dictate. A 400 gr arrow with a 125 gr head weighs no more than a 400 gr arrow with a 100 gr head. With a rule stipulating broadhead weight, maybe you need to look for someone that understands archery. If he has problems recovering bears it may be shot placement, not broadhead weight that's to blame.

Quick Reply: outfitter wont allow 100 gr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.