Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Couple of fine tuning questions >

Couple of fine tuning questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple of fine tuning questions

Old 09-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Couple of fine tuning questions

My sight allows for adjustment toward and away from me (assuming the aiming position). All I need to do is loosen screw and slide in or out. What will this adjustment do?

Second, I tightened poundage two revolutions and increased pull to 61-62 lbs. Now, my 20 yd pin is 25 yds. Should I move the sight housing (all pins at once) up or should I adjust the individual pins? I want a 20 yd pin and a 30.

Thank you.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Couple of fine tuning questions

Moving the sights away gives you a longer sight plane. Doing this will make your sights appear closer together.
2 rotations and only 1 Lb of draw? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Might as well move all the pins (shouldn't be much anyway) then set your 2nd pin to 30.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

Stealth.... he didn't say one pound of increase. I believe he was saying it raised his poundage to somewhere in the 61-62 pound range. One pound wouldn't move a pin 5 yards.

Old 09-10-2002, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

shortdraw, you are correct. I don't have a scale but was previously at 57 lbs and expect it is somewhere around 61 or 62 at this point. I will check it soon to know for sure.

Still not sure I understand the concept of moving the sight forward or back (and will it affect POI?).
Old 09-10-2002, 06:03 AM

Moving the sight further forward will give you a longer sight plane and make your sighting more accurate. Think of it this way, if you had open sights on a rifle and they were two inches apart it wouldn't be very accurate. Each time you move the gun you wouldn't see much movement in the sights. If you moved the front sight further out (the same as moving your pins further out) any movement of the gun would be much more noticable while looking thru the sights. By having your sight further apart (assumming you have a peep sight) you should be more accurate......
Old 09-10-2002, 06:57 AM

tealboy,

It's just as Anthony stated. Also, visualize it this way (to an extreme): if you could adjust the sight pin back toward your eye, the pin would appear to get bigger and bigger in relation to the target. At 10 yards, let's say, it might totally eclipse a bullseye. Now, pretend you had enough adjustment to extend the sight pin 5 yards in front of your bow (ridiculous, I know.) Now if you could see the pin, you'd be able to see exactly where it was WITHIN that same bullseye. That's an extreme example of what your sight's adjustment provides.

If you'll notice, many target archers have LONG sight brackets. Hunters, on the other hand, don't typically use an extended bracket because: a) ethical shots are usually within a range where super-precise aiming is not necessary b) extended sight brackets are easily bumped, snagged, and bent in the field.

On a side note, I hope you don't consider turning your bow up 5 POUNDS to be "fine tuning"! That's a HUGE change in the bow/arrow spine relationship! I personally know many hunters (several in my family) who "tune" their bows at the start of the "practice season", then just before the season starts they turn their bow poundage up to "get the extra power." It won't just change where your sight pins need to be. Around three to five pounds of change is the same as changing the point weight 25 grains. In other words, if you went up five pounds, you'll need to drop your points from 125 to 100 grains to have the same flex as before. (That's certainly not an exact conversion, either. If you make a point weight change, your bow might actually require 1-7/8ths turns to get back to the same spine, etc.)
Old 09-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2002, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Well, thanks for all the feedback. Part of the reason I adjusted the poundage is b/c i am now strong and more accurate. Second, with a 32 inch arrow and a Beman 340, I have a pretty stiff spline. At 57 pounds, I was on the very low end of the range and wanted to move closer to mid range in terms of balancing these factors. My arrow did not seem to fly as smooth and straight at 57. Can't say for sure if it is improved, but it seems so.

Not the best time to be fooling with this stuff as the season opens in 1 1/2 weeks but I will be ready.