HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Couple of fine tuning questions
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 06:57 AM
CapstoneME

Default RE: Couple of fine tuning questions

tealboy,

It's just as Anthony stated. Also, visualize it this way (to an extreme): if you could adjust the sight pin back toward your eye, the pin would appear to get bigger and bigger in relation to the target. At 10 yards, let's say, it might totally eclipse a bullseye. Now, pretend you had enough adjustment to extend the sight pin 5 yards in front of your bow (ridiculous, I know.) Now if you could see the pin, you'd be able to see exactly where it was WITHIN that same bullseye. That's an extreme example of what your sight's adjustment provides.

If you'll notice, many target archers have LONG sight brackets. Hunters, on the other hand, don't typically use an extended bracket because: a) ethical shots are usually within a range where super-precise aiming is not necessary b) extended sight brackets are easily bumped, snagged, and bent in the field.

On a side note, I hope you don't consider turning your bow up 5 POUNDS to be "fine tuning"! That's a HUGE change in the bow/arrow spine relationship! I personally know many hunters (several in my family) who "tune" their bows at the start of the "practice season", then just before the season starts they turn their bow poundage up to "get the extra power." It won't just change where your sight pins need to be. Around three to five pounds of change is the same as changing the point weight 25 grains. In other words, if you went up five pounds, you'll need to drop your points from 125 to 100 grains to have the same flex as before. (That's certainly not an exact conversion, either. If you make a point weight change, your bow might actually require 1-7/8ths turns to get back to the same spine, etc.)