Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 FINE TUNING BOW WHEN PAPER TUNING >

FINE TUNING BOW WHEN PAPER TUNING

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FINE TUNING BOW WHEN PAPER TUNING

Old 06-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Spike

Default FINE TUNING BOW WHEN PAPER TUNING

QUESTION: I am trying to paper tune my bow (set up i have Jaguar magnum, about 71-72 lbs, shooting 28 1/2 inch easton carbon evolutions (400 's ) with a release.)

The best i could get after repeated shooting is a small tear about an inch high and right (right being about at 1:30 - 2:00 oclock)

I cannot lower the nock any more because then my nock will be below the plane of my arrow.

Should i be shooting heavier arrows???

Any suggestions would be great . Also, how exact or small a hole do you expect to get when a bow is properly tuned???

Thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 08:18 PM
nub

Default RE: FINE TUNING BOW WHEN PAPER TUNING

Sorry, don't know much about your bow. [X(]What type of rest are you useing? Could be spring tension is too stiff. Have you checked you ata and brace measurements? How about cam timing or rotation? Fletch contact? I personally don't shoot paper. How are your groups? If nothing else, I just gave ya something to do.

Oops, forgot; Welcome to the boards!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

it sounds as if your arrows are underspined according to the description of the tear you are getting.
back the draw weight down to about 68 LB and see what happens
are you using a heavy point like possibly 125 GR?
if so you can go down to 75 Grain, doing this will keep the arrow from flexing as much.

or it could be as nub stated,you may be getting fletch contact or if you have a dual cam bow it could be a timing issue.

when I tune a bow I get a perfectly round hole with 3 fletch tears
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Spike

I'm shooting a single cam bow with a whisker bisquit (the new two color one) and 100 grn points. If new arrows or heavier spined arrows could be he problem (that i need to get) would that be better than losing 5lbs of draw weight as far as performance goes??

I would rather get new arrows than decrease draw weight.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that Carbon Evolution 400s would be underspined for your setup. BUT, if you follow BPS's advice, you could get a better indication if arrow spine was the problem BEFORE you assume that it is and spend all that money on the new arrows. My guess is that the 400s are underspined, but by reducing the draw weight, you could find out for free!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with those that say you're underspined. Also agree that the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to find out is to turn the bow weight down. You got the arrows. Who says you have to shoot 70+ lbs? I'll bet those 400's will fly pretty good once you get the bow down around 65-67lbs. Otherwise you'll need 340's and/or lighter tips.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. Underspined. the Jag-Mag has a fairly low brace and packs a pretty good punch at longer draw lengths.