Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Archery Season Almost Here >

Archery Season Almost Here

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery Season Almost Here

Old 09-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Archery Season Almost Here

hey guys i live in Ohio and our archery season starts on Oct. 5th i was wondering if i should get out now and start looking for a place to place my stand or start looking for trails?? Also is there any chance that i will have any luck bagging a buck in the early season or not??
Old 09-09-2002, 05:29 PM

Default RE: Archery Season Almost Here

i start setting my stands in july. also scouting should be done year round. in my opinion i would scout hard now and set you stands right away.

your chances at the big one are the results of your hunt awareness. there are so many factors to consider.

all in all if you are a lucky person your chances are as good as anyones

hunt on and hunt hard
Old 09-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

You should've already been scouting. Get out as soon as possible and find a place unless you're going to the same area you were last year. What part of Ohio are you from?

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

well i hunt in madison county near plain city but im hunting in the same place as last year same area i mean theres 19 acres so i guess i need to go out and look around. Should i make sure im scent free and should i start cutting limbs down and stuff? also should i look for trails or what??
Old 09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

You should be looking for feeding areas(bean/corn fields, dropping oaks, etc) for the early season. Also as hot and dry as it has been a water source would be a good spot for a stand. Look for heavly used trails, funnel areas, and bedding areas. You should definatly be cutting the limbs down now at stand locations, so you won't be doing it close to season and spooking the deer. Hurry up and get scouting, its coming up fast!

Old 09-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Well to tell you guys the truth im not sure what to do exactly. First i hunt behind a creek and there is water all the way down the creek so would i look for tracks to the creek at a spot. Also there is only like that high yellow grass its not wheat because its always up thats on the left side and im on the right so im not sure of a food source what should i do please reply thanx
Old 09-10-2002, 12:19 PM

Well really not to sound like a jerk but it dosen't really sound like you done a whole lot of research. Maybe you should do some searches, look at some other threads, pick up some Whitetail magazines and more than anything get out in the woods and scout. Look for trails, food sources (acorns) if you have no crops on the land ect, ect....
Old 09-10-2002, 12:54 PM

its good to see you looking for help THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU ARE GOING TO LEARN. OK NOW IF THE CREEK BANK IS HIGH THEN YOU MUST BE CAREFULL OF SWIRLING WINDS. THEY WILL GIVE YOU AWAY ALWAYS. IF THE AREA YOU HUNT HAS LOTAS OF AWAMP GRASS YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR THE HEAVILY USED TRAILS THE ANIMALS USE TO DRINK FROM. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE RUBBER BOOTS DO NOT DO LOTS OF WALKING AROUND BECAUSE YOU WLL LEAVE YOUR SCENT.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO SET UP A GROUND BLING IN THE SWAMP GRASS. WELL HOPE THIS HELPS

HUNT ON HUNT HARD
Old 09-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

thanx hopefully that will help there are some spots with high grass i hunted this same place last year i just never crossed over the creek. I have a pair of snake boots and there rubber so i dont have to worry about that but basically look for trails or deer crap or something in that nature should i look for rubs or anything??
Old 09-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

if it were me the fisrt thing i would do is walk the length of the creek chances are you will find a spot or two that the deer cross more than others if it has steep banks and not deep walk right down the middle of the creek find some good trees to set up in near the creek crossings do it now but dont spend a whole lot of time in any one spot and by the time your season opens you will have had little impact on your area . 19 acres is a small plot try to not hunt the same trees too often if at all possible good luck , hope you get a biggin

ps. we start in 4 days