Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting one buck? >

hunting one buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting one buck?

Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Default hunting one buck?

I was wondering how many people hunt just one buck and the tips that they may have. scouting, hunting...etc.....also are there any good books out there on how to huny just one buck...thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting one buck?

Dont even think about hunting one buck during the rut. Early in the season, you can pretty much figure out his feeding patterns and get him then. Early in the prerut, you can pattern them by their rublines. Late season, glass areas where deer congregate and set up when you see the one you want and wait. Late in the season they have to eat, and become more vulnerable if you are cautious about scent control, etc
Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

You hunt 1 buck the same as you would hunt any buck....only difference you have to be able to pass all the "any bucks" and wait on the chance that "your buck" is not already someone elses. When it pays off, it pays off big!

That is the toughest thing, trying to talk your self into a nice deer when you are hunting a good one.

Both of these animal were 'targeted'. I passed many bucks waiting for them to hopefully show up. One was in 2002 and the other in 2004.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt the hardest thng about hunting/waiting for a specific animal is having the disipline to wait for THAT specific buck. If you're dreaming of a 160 class buck then you don't drop the bowstring on the first 140 class that walks by. It is certainly a very frustrating but also VERY rewarding game with the sweetest payoff in bowhunting. Goals make us all better and more effective hunters so hats off to anyone who tries to tackle such a goal. The one thing that can truly help swing the odds in a hunters favor is obviously having the ability to hunt as much of the specific bucks range as possible. Common sense suggests that you will stand a better chance of harvesting the buck if you can hunt more of his home range. If you are hoping to kill a specific mature buck on a 40 acre patch, you either better have the key food, the key bedding or the best funnel area between the two. Most hunters in my experience, simply lack the disipline and the ground to make this goal a reality. Bottom line, be realistic and have fun, but at the same time TRY to challenge yourself.

Btomlin, I have to say..... everytime I see those two awesome animals I can't help but stare in amazment!!! AWESOME bucks..... I bet they are going to look incredible on your wall side by side!!!