Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting a BIG BUCK right on top of his bed?? >

Hunting a BIG BUCK right on top of his bed??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting a BIG BUCK right on top of his bed??

Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Hunting a BIG BUCK right on top of his bed??

OK, before I start let me admit this is going to be a very difficult task with very low odds. I' ve found a very nice buck, 140+ P and Y class. I bumped him off a field edge the other day while driving around the perimeter of a field. I immedietly got out after he vacated the area and sprayed down liberally w/ scent away and was wearing rubber boots. I found his bed just inside the woods about 10 yds. There just happens to be a perfect tree for my climber within 15 yds of his bed and within 10 yds of the rub line that litters the ridge heading into the bottom. Next Sat, or Sun depending on the wind, I' m going to attempt to set up on this buck right on top of his bed way before daylight, and see what happens. I' ve read of people using this tactic before, but have never tried it myself. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried this with any success. The main question I have is how soon before legal light do you think I should be set up. I know if by some miracle I can get in undetected, there is a good chance the buck will be back in the bed before first light, and then I' ll just have to wait him out. There is only one bed, and it is extremely definied. I don' t think I spooked him bad enough to cause him to move areas since I was in the truck. By the looks of his defined bed he must be very comfortable in this spot. For those of you who are wondering why I don' t try to set up on him away from the bed in the evening all I have to say is I can' t figure out in this situation exactly how to do it. I think this is my best chance, besides I' ve always wanted to try this atleast once. How early should I be on stand though???
Old 10-13-2003, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Hunting a BIG BUCK right on top of his bed??

in the stand 45 min before day light.

go deep hunt hard.

as a hunter you got to know when to strike fast.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:38 PM

rack attack will come up with a real good answer he is the mr. hunt the beds kind of a person. just listen to him .

go deep hunt hard

as a hunter you got to know when to strike fast.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have time on your side - it would be better to set up on the closest funneling point downwind and nearest to that " bed" first. While the odds are not the best in taking the deer - you can at least verify (visually) if the deer is bedding there.

Its not a complete longshot either - as most deer will approach a bed from downwind, and its not likely the deer is using the EXACT bedding spot in the are he picked to bed in.

Now that I said DONT HURRY - I' ll say hurry up - because the pre-rut should begin in less than 2 weeks - and a bedding area becomes a " one night affair" till after the rut.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:02 AM

rack attack will come up with a real good answer he is the mr. hunt the beds kind of a person. just listen to him .
Did you see the deer in his sig pic????[]
He doesn' t need to listen to me

IL Trophy - That bed does not sound like it is a core bedding area. It sounds like a left over summer pattern, and a place it seems that has recieved little people pressure - so he has stuck with it. One little bump from a bed like that - and if you left any scent around a doupt he will use it again. I have seen bucks use odd bedding areas like this before - and it is very easy to push them out and into safer areas.

If he is coming back I guess getting in there early is your best bet.

Good Luck

Old 10-14-2003, 08:20 AM

You have maybe two chances at best for this spot. First time you hunt it is most likely your best chance odds will decrease with everytime you hunt that spot. Let the wind be your guide and hit that spot when it is right. Good luck
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 AM

Do deer go back to the same bed everyday? I thought they may go to the same general area but not in the exact spot.