Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma! >

Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

Old 07-08-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

I am teaching a 9-year old girl and a 12-year old boy to shoot.

The girl is primary left-handed, but is ambidextrous and uses her right hand when strength is needed. She is definitely " left eye" dominant. I tried her on a left-hand bow and a right-hand bow. She pulls the right-hand bow without difficulty, but cannot do so with her left-hand.

I am in a quandary as to whether I should go with her right hand (arm) since it seems stronger, but then I have the dominant " left-eye" problem to deal with. I am sure I can get her left arm strengthened and coordinated, but she is resisting, only because she is presently comfortable with pulling with her right arm.

As her instructor, I know that regardless how much longer it takes, or how frustrating it may be for her, I should teach her in a way that the package is complete. Anyone dealt with this before, personally or with someone else?

How about hearing from some of you right-hand shooters having a left dominant eye. How problematic is your ability to sight a bow properly?

Old 07-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

c903, I am left handed but right eye dominant. It has always been a strugle to keep my right eye from taking over. This past season I strarted shooting a right hand bow and am getting great results. The only negitive I have experienced is that my right hand is not as solid as my left so I have had to decrease my poundage. I have been shooting about 30 arrows a day and the strength is starting to come around. It was frustrating not being able to hold my draw as long as I was use to but I am getting more comfortable now. I only wish I would have changed much sooner. Another concern is the availability of off the shelf left hand bows. I think you would be doing your students justice by correcting the problem at a young age. LOL.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I' m Right Eye Dominant and right handed. When I went to the No-Peep I had problems with my left (non-dominant) eye tried to take over the aming alignment. I solved this problem by either squinting or closing my left eye. Problem soplved.

Now I can shoot with both eyes open . . . but if my left eye tries to take over . . . I just close it.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Spike

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I shoot with my left eye closed and have never felt that it hindered me or my accuracy. I say shoot what ever feels comfortable and works. I shoot with lots of guys who are same hand/eye dominant and they all close one eye for a better sight picture.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 PM

Wife is righty w/ left eye dominant she shoots with a $1.99 eye patch available at local pharmacy. Did the trick.Hopethis helps
Old 07-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use the no-peep and keep both eyes open. Concentrate on the target!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Geronimo:

That is a contradiction. How do you concentrate on the target and watch the " No-Peep" at the same time?

Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I' m right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot with a peep sight and I close my left eye when aiming. It does not affect me at all. I' m not the greatest shot out there but can keep them all in the vitals to 50 yards. As long as you close or cover the dominant eye it won' t be a problem. Close the dominant eye and the open one becomes the dominant eye.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

C903...you know what you need to do. Teach her to shoot left handed. She' s only 9, got plenty of time to practice, and build up her strength. In the end, it will be for the best.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:22 AM

left eye dominate, right handed shooter. I too close my left eye, been doing it all my life.

Quick Reply: Left hand shooting right hand with dominant left eye dilemma!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.