Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Feathers

Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Feathers

Does anyone shoot feathers on crossbow bolts?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feathers

feathers is all I use on my arrows and have only used them for over 20 years. In my opinion, they will stand up as good as the veins, but when they get wet, they do not look as good, but still shoot like they would when dry. I have had my arrows soaked so bad that they feathers look ruined, but after they dried, they came back to normal. Feathers is also lighter then veins (veins average about 3x more then feathers).

Feathers do have a higher drag when flying through the air. This will slow the arrow down faster, but since the arrow was lighter to begin with (with featherrs), it starts out faster. Also the drag of the feathers, will help with the accuracy, making the arrow more foregiving, allowing you a little more leaway in your hunting head selection.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 AM

So there is basicly the same advantage with a crossbow as a longbow then! I think I would shoot feathers. I always shot feathers on my compund. I dont hunt in the rain. Im colorblind and cant blood trail. So I never had the wet feather experience.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only problem i have had with my CB, is anything over 3 7/8" hits the channel slot with high degree helical put on them.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

scaupstopper, I do not know if this will help or not but you might consider checking it out. I am using something new for blood trailing this year, it is a special LED flash light with red and blue LED's it litteraly makes blood glow after darkif it is fresh blood. I have only used it once but once I started it only took me about 3 to 5 minites to find that deer and it was almost pitch dark and it is only a pen light. Lee
Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 AM

Yeah, my dad bought one of those. I havent been able to get enough blood out of a deer with an arrow in a year and a half to use it. Which is why yesterday I got off my butt and bought a crossbow. Im probably going to sell off my compound. After working with folks on the bow forum I came to realize that trying to shoot a deer while looking through a tiny hole on the string, kissing a piece pf plastic, remembering which tiny glow thingy was the right one, standing just right with more weight on my left leg, closing one eye, trying to forget my arms are aching, hoping my string hasnt stretched a 16th of an inch, and trying to forget how miserable I was when I put an arrow through the last ones gut made me feel. (does this seem like an effective way to hunt????)

Bring on the trigger and scope! Dont worry, Im gonna practice, but I am thinking there is a whole lot less to go wrong now. And Im still gonna shoot 30 yds or less.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Slick tricks Bill is selling leave an awesome blood trail, and are xbow friendly!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Lemoyne, interested in that light your talking about. Is it any LED with red and blue or something special? Bill
Old 03-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

retiredarmy, I think this might be the lite, http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-80066-Carnivore-Tracking-Technology/dp/B000E3OS3S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4988320-4006267?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174606262&sr =8-1[/align]I have one but hadn't had a chance to use it yet.[/align] Joe[/align]
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

personelly, i would not use feathers..i am shooting 2 inch blazer vanes and putting arrows in same hole ,shot after shot..

feathers get wet..with way the blazers shoot,not feathers for me..

now, on my bear kodiack recurve, yes FEATHERS..

Quick Reply: Feathers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.