Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feathers?

Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Feathers?

I have been using feathers for the past 2 years for a few reasons. The owner of my local bow shop is sold on them and believes that you can't go wrong with them. He says they are way more forgiving than plastic veins. He says they will correct themselves in flight after hitting a small twig in 3 ft, opposed to 15 ft. for plastic veins. He also states how much more durable they are for practicing b/c they won't tear up as easily. There are several more reasons he has given me in the past, but I really can't think of them off hand. The reason for this post is b/c I am thinking about going back to veins. It is hard to keep the feathers dry in wet weather and I also think that the deer may hear the feathers whistling as they are in flight. Since shooting feathers I have not killed a deer in 3 attempts. One shot was my fault, but the other two were headed dead nuts and the deer jumped my string, one from 20 yds. and the other at 35 yds. I have always thought my bow was plenty quiet and I never missed a deer the 3 years prior to shooting feathers with the same bow. Just wanting to know your opinion and what you guys think.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feathers?

I shoot feathers and mine are a bit noisey! But you can't hear the comming at you, only from behind. Wierd but true. Plastic vanes flap and are worse!
Bohning makes a powder that you put on your feathers that make them repell water! Works well! Its called feather-dri. Odorless! Good luck
Old 09-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I happen to disagree with BowHuntingFool...I used feathers for years and after being tired of them getting wet, breaking down and not to mention the noise....switched to vanes and aint changing back...Alot of guys swear by feathers, alot of guys swear by vanes....both work in all situations so it comes down to personal preferences as these two posts show.

Both have their pro's and con's.....do what you want, you don't affect my setup.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:57 PM

I use the new whisker biscuits B2 carbon rest and was considering trying feathers. I keep tearing up my plastic vanes when I have been practicing lately. I definitely need to get a refletching kit of some kinda. I will keep checking back here to see what more people say about the feathers vs. plastic. Thanks for the post Rob, you probably do not remember but you helped me select a bow a three years ago and just about everything you recommended and mentioned happened ~ i am happy to say I have been a successful bowhunter for the past three years. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

We know that both featers and vanes have killed contless numbers of deer. That alone attests to the proficiency of each. I believe feathers are more forgiving if they nick your rest but hitting a twig or small branch either is likely to go sailing to who knows where. I have been shooting Carbon express arrows with five inch feathers but recently bought some with four inch feathers and some four inch vanes. I have been shooting both and see little difference in accuracy even with broadheads and I practice out to forty yards. The vanes are much quieter................Dabow
Old 09-20-2004, 09:13 PM

Sounds like my boss at Oklahoma Archery. He sold me on feathers when i first started workin there and now i wont go back. Getting wet sometimes is a factor, but for hunting situations, even a wet feather will shoot. I personally will never go back to feathers. Dont have anything against vanes, just dont care for them as much.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I don't think switching to vanes with help much on a deer jumping the string. The owner has given some very good reason for staying with feathers, and you have mentioned a few for going with vanes.

I have been shooting vanes for years, but went with feathers this year on my compound. I also kept two vanes fletched arrow in the quiver for excessive rain. On my elk trip to colorado this year, I noticed a few problems with the feathers getting very beat up in the terrain I was in. The vanes were fine. So as far as the durability is concerned in the conditions I was in, I'd say the vanes held up extremely well compared to the feathers, and on my next trip, I will only be carrying vanes. Maybe under normal conditions, the feathers may hold up better, but not there.

I'll still use the feathers for my longbow and recurve however.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Getting wet sometimes is a factor, but for hunting situations, even a wet feather will shoot.
hunter9022, have you ever shot an arrow with wet feathers? I never have and wander what it would do and how it would affect the flight of the arrow. By the way I go to Tabe's Archery in Shawnee. You probably have heard of him.

Bohning makes a powder that you put on your feathers that make them repell water! Works well! Its called feather-dri. Odorless! Good luck

I have some of this powder and put it on regularly. It works for a little while, then I guess it washes of or soaks through and they eventually get wet. Maybe I am not putting it on right or something.

Thanks for your input guys, and sorry for spelling vanes (veins), I guess I need to go back to English class.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 AM

I feel that feather's stabilize the arrow a bit better but other than that I think it comes to personal preference. I haven't noticed any real change in a deer's behavior when shot with either. I don't know if they would "hear it coming" if shot at 50 yds though. But at ranges deer are usually shot at I feel there reaction wouldn't be any quicker in my opinion. As far as wet feathers? Well, I tune my bow so that I can shoot either and carry one arrow with vanes on occasions it might rain while I'm out hunting. Yes, the weight is more with the vanes but not enough (in my experiment) to change point of impact much. Here is a photo of a 3 shot group at 60yds. 2 of the arrows has different makes of feathers and 1 is standard Easton vanes. The group measures just under 3.75". I was setting my pins this morning so the group is centered now!!

Old 09-21-2004, 12:58 PM

I have shot both and I think feathers do stabilize your arrow a little more quickly and are a little more forgiving if you have a lot of rest contact. Vanes are much more durable and water resistant. I switched for vanes for 3D because of durability and I like to hunt with the same setup.

Quick Reply: Feathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.