Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Lbs. to string new bow? >

What Lbs. to string new bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Lbs. to string new bow?

Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Lbs. to string new bow?

I'm new to archery and recently purchased a Reflex Excursion 60#/70# which is currently set at 60# (29" draw length). After a couple trips to the range and multiple sore muscles later I figure that I would probably benefit by lowering the draw weight to work on my form. I want to know if I can set set up at a draw weight lower than 60#.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Default RE: What Lbs. to string new bow?

I believe you have to purchase new parts to lower your draw length. Try only shooting a few shots each trip or changing your draw length. Since your draw weight is too much, I bet your draw length is too long. Having too long of a draw length can affect the draw weight. You will be pulling too much weight back to far.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

he can lower the draw weight by just goin to an archery shop and asking them to do so but it sould say on one of your risers the range in lbs.your bow is.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think there is anyway for u to lower the draw weight without purchasing new limbs. but, if u shorten the draw length an inch it just might lower the pundage. it really depends on the bow. my rage is always at the poundage u set it at when changing draw lengths but my old fred bear would change the poundage when you shortened the draw length.

there also may be cams with more let off for your bow. i would call your proshop and ask them. this would still have the same draw weight but would make it easier to hold back.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 PM

He said it was a 60 to 70 lb bow in his post, and its set at 60 which is the lower limit.

The answer is yes and no. You could make your bow draw less poundage by messing with the length of the harness and string. Longer cables, and a shorter string would do it. The problem is it would mess up the draw length and the timing of the bow and hurt the performance.

You will need to get different limbs to lower the poundage any more most likely.

I agree with the above, try shooting less for a while, or less arrows at a time. Like try shooting 3 arrows in a row and then go get them. Or even on at a time. This gives your muscles a little time to relax between shots. Also take your time and shoot slower. And take a break for while when you get tired.

And you need to shoot more often but less time, do you understand that? You can't shoot for two hours straight and kill yourself, then wait two weeks and try it again. You need to shoot for like 20 or 30 min every day or so. Or at least draw the bow back and let it down. This will build your muscles up, it takes time though.

And I also agree with the draw length. If it is too long it makes the bow harder to draw.

If none of this helps, then you might want to take a look at getting different limbs or a different bow.

Paul
Old 01-03-2005, 05:17 PM

When I first got my bow, it was set at 58 lbs. I tried drawing it back and was suprised. 58 lbs is a lot to pull back! I lowered it to 48 and shot for a few months. I tried moving it up to 52 and shot for a few more months. I have now bumped it up to 58 and can shoot that all day. Pulling 58 lbs now was easier than pulling 48 lbs when I first got it. You will eventually get used to the weight. Just remember, when you start to get sore, stop.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

depending on how much u shoot. i pull my bow back multiple times every other day. each time i hold for a good 10 seconds. i do this untill i get tired. doing this every other day is good conditioning for your muscles. if you do this over a period of time. you will notice that it helps out a lot when shooting. it makes it so much easier to pull your bow and to hold for long periods of time.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mattu!

I too agree with Paul ,Zak and Shoot em up. Shoot fewer arrow's at a time and build your strength up ,you've already proven you can draw it ,so less arrow's and shoot a couple time's a day or even once a day, and you'll be shooting in the mid 60#'s before you know it . If your unable to continue to shoot your bow at 60# then I'd look at either a new bow that suit's you better or new limb's ,But I wouldn't screw around with string adjustment's ,because this could become more of a problem than an easy fix.

nubo
Old 01-04-2005, 08:53 AM

I have a better solution than anyone else...

Take off your panties[:-]

I'm just teasing. Making your back muscles stronger will take care of the situation. Follow the advice in the above posts or start doing some pullups. There was a post on this recently in the technical forum (I believe) where I outlined some exercises for making your back stronger.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 AM

Just be careful on how fast you build up that strenght or you will put yourself on the DL like I did. Got my new bow, was pulling it at 64#'s, which was easy as pie, slipped a little on one pull and now I have a lovely case of tendonitis in my brace shoulder. I think actually I strained my shoulder the night before doing some farm work but it didn't seem out of the ordinary when I was a little sore after shooting. Didn't think that it was tendonitis at first and shot two more times (with a day between each time) but after the 8th shot on the last day, I put my bow down and said screw it for now. Been a week now and this is the first day with no soreness in the arm but I will be sitting out another week at least for me to be sure. Ticked me off becasue I was shooting real nice groups finally at 25 yards. Now, I got to find some good stretches to make sure that my shoulder doesn't do that again because once I start back up I want to stay started until next October so I can have good confidence in shooting.