Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why are bowhunters so much better? >

Why are bowhunters so much better?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why are bowhunters so much better?

Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Why are bowhunters so much better?

I just need to vent. Went out last Friday for, more then likely, my last hunt of the season . Ran into 3 gun hunters. They where end stuffers. The property is side by side. Their side is being developed. That's why I think they are allowed to hunt there this year. Well I adjusted and went farther into my property then normal, to a new spot. I saw a ton of deer but I picked the wrong tree. I had deer all morning 50 yrds from me walking on trails. I saw two very nice 8 pointers and the rest were Does and bambies. I had full intentions on killing everything that came with in range since it would be my last hunt. Nothing did get close since I seemed to perfectly split the trails and decided to move spots a litlle late.

My other friend was on the same page of shoot what you want. He unfortunately didn't have much luck. He saw one deer a nice 8 pointer before legal shooting hours. He was kicked to him by the end stuffer who was making all kinds of racket getting to and climbing a tree 100 yrds away. That guy clanked all the way up the tree. His buddies came into that section of woods around 8 am, walked 20 yrds and left. Then the noisy end stuffer leaves at 8:30.

This is a place that last year the deer where very thick and never changed their patterns. This year they have changed so much it's unbelievable. I just don't understand people clanking all the way into the woods and up a tree. As if the fact they can shoot 100 yrds should over come their stupidaty. They where certainly able to screw up an awesome hunting spot. I can only hope they won't be back next year.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why are bowhunters so much better?

What if it was a bowhunter? Would you still have these same feelings? Or is it just because he uses a gun? Whats with all this bow hunters bigotry?
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Site Bouncer

Being one who hunts both with a gun and bow I would not be so fast to say who is better. You obviously have come across hunters that in your opinion were not too skillfull in hunting. That being said I know of many gun hunters that are just as aware of their sent, the wind and the quary they are stalking as bow hunters are.

I started out as (and still am) a gun hunter. I only took up bow hunting as sort of a challange to all of my bow hunting buddies who insisted that they were better because they had to have their deer much closer than us "mouth breathing" gun hunters to get a kill shot. I told them that I did not think there was any difference and that most of my shots were further away because there was no need to have the deer come any closer for a good clean kill shot, and not because the deer would not come any closer if given the chance to do so.

So I took up bow hunting and guess what? nothing changed in my hunting techniques and I still killed deer. You see it's not the mode of hunting that makes any one hunter "better" than any other, it's the hunter. I still hunt with both the bow and gun and have no preference between the two I enjoy both very much and do well with both. As for my methods of hunting, nothing has changed and I don't think they will.

BTW, sometimes I like it when others are making noise and moving about. I have killed plenty of deer when most of the "hunters" are moving in and out of there stands. Making lots of noise thinking that deer don't move during the day and it was time for them to go back to their trucks for lunch and wait for the afternoon to get back into their stands.

It's not the method it's the hunter.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

No I'm afraid it wouldn't matter whether it was a bowhunter or a rifle hunter ,but you are right they're obviously very unskilled and unfortunately they were in the same bush as fieldmouse or at least close enough to to pi$$ him off .I can't say that I could blame him .

nubo
Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I understood it was that he meant all gun hunters are unskilled. I, for one, don't use a gun to kill deer, but that doesn't mean they are all unskilled hunters.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:32 PM

I believe bowhunters learn to hunt more cautious and quieter, and on a slower pace thaan a rifle hunter, as we have to get close!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Site Bouncer

I disagree
Old 01-02-2005, 10:39 PM

I hunt with both bow and gun and I know of no difference in skill level of hunters based on weapon choice. This is like me saying why do bowhunters have to get so close to game? Can't they shoot a rifle? This too, is absurd.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 PM

If you hunt with both gun and bow i think you know the difference in skill level, c'mon now wake up and smell the roses here!!! bowhunter within 30 yards, rifle hunter 300 yards!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 PM

Being new to bowhunting but having hunted with a gun for many years i can say that now matter the insturment be a gun or bow there are hunters and people who try to hunt.Some of those that try to hunt dont know any better and some just dont care,and some i would think are just having a bad day, bummer you ran into one the last day though.

Quick Reply: Why are bowhunters so much better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.