Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to bowhunting and the forum! >

New to bowhunting and the forum!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bowhunting and the forum!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 PM

Default New to bowhunting and the forum!

Hi! Name is Shaun and I just joined the forum not to long ago and recently decided to start hunting/target shooting. I havn't made any purchases as of yet as I am trying to make the right purchase first! I decided to visit the local archery store, "Dicks archery and anglers" in Wichita, KS. They Offered me a Bowtech Tomkat, i think, for $304. Included bow, quiver, rest and sight only. Another bow was the Hoyt Ultra Sport for $538, same setup $6-and-some change for arrows and release and what not... I shot both of them, couldn't tell a difference really except the hoyt was a little smoother, but I didn't know what I was suppose to look for either. I am limited on Archery shops as they don't seem to grow on trees around here so would like to make a choice from either this place or another local shop. I am really trying to budget myself as I am not sure if I am going to stick with it. I really enjoyed shooting in the shop, however, I was short on time and didn't fully evaluate each bow.

I have read thread after thread about which bow is best.. yada yada yada. I know I need to get out more and make my decision based on that, however, I dont have the luxury of having a shop that offers more than two or three brands of bows. For roughly $600 I figured for sure I could get a quality bow. Basically my question is, while I enjoyed shooting the hoyt, is the Bowtech a better bow for my situation? I am a college student and the money funding this venture is college loans. :P I know most of the brands that are currently in business right now are reputable manufacturers; yet, I cant seem to get past the point that while they are making a quality product their has to be some "leaders" in this sport. I looked on Cabela's and found that they sell the same thing that "Hunters-friend" sells pse, browning, bowtech. They sell 'package' deals and they almost sound to good to be true and you know what they say about those type of deals... My ultimate question is, do you think that I am paying a premium for a "custom-setup" from my local shop, or do you think that roughly $600 is a good deal for the "Package" from the local dealer? Ohh by the way, they have a 20 yd in-door shooting facility that I could use free of charge during store hours, just a perk I guess.

Sorry for such a long post but I thought I would fully explain my situation rather than have to make multiple posts.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to bowhunting and the forum!

buy the less expensive bow from the shop and use their range. Just from being in there and with other people you can learn "tricks of the trade" about bow shooting form much faster. One year later trade that bow in for the more expensive model. You will know how to shoot and will know if you really want to spend that kind of money.

I bought my current bow 3 years ago for 200 bucks added sights rest and quiver. for a total of the 350 range, and this bow is still going strong. I really don't plan on getting a 500 bow anytime soon.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:42 AM

I completely agree with thunder. Since the funds are probably very short, go with the cheaper bow and just get out and shoot it. Once you get used to that bow and start talking to other guys, you will find out what you like in a bow and then down the road you can get something that you ultimately like. Tough thing to spend a bunch of hard earned cash on a bow to only find out 4 months from now you don't really like it. Good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stump and Thunder are exactly correct i would even consider a used bow and then do the trade thing. But shoot the heck out of whatever you buy before ya hit the woods be comfortable with it.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:13 AM

I agree with these guys, get the cheaper bow (it will shoot just fine) and practice, practice, practice before you know it you will feel comfortable shooting and confident with you knowledge of shooting a bow.

I would recommend throwing in a little extra and get a bag target so you can shoot in a diffrent environment than the 20 yard indoor range.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:30 AM

Go with the pro shop & they will help you get your set up right.
Then if you have trouble down the road they will be there for you.
Buying mail order you will be on your own.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:35 AM

Yup, they've all summed it up well. the shop will get you fit. The Bowtech is a good bow and if you not sure you'll stick with it I wouldn't spend a fortune (espically since it's a school loan). I'm pretty sure you'll get addicted though.

If you start shooting now you should be ready for the woods when the season rolls back around. It takes time and lots of practice to become proficient with a bow. Practice often, take a couple of lessons if avaiable to get a proper form.

Most importantly, welcome aboard and welcome to bow hunting. You'll find out soon enough why this is the best sport in the world!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 AM

Welcome Shaun. I too am in your position.....just getting into the sport of bowhunting. I looked at the Hoyt Ultrasport yesterday, and really liked it. I'm still going to check out a few others. I want to try the Reflex bows too, but haven't found them yet around me. Good luck finding the right bow.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome aboard! I agree with the above posts! The only thing I would add is that when you do get in the woods know your limitations!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

jshaun!

Between the 2 bow's you've looked at ,both these bow's are very good choice's ,and as you have said money is an issue.So in your situation if you were to choose from these 2 bow's I'd definetly go with the Tomcat because the price is right for you ,but you are going to be adding a few buck's to this when you add a rest,sight's release,peep,stabilizer and most likely a case into the equation ,your going to be looking at 600.00 most likely after you've added these .Regardless which bow you go with your going to have to add these option's to it.As well I'd definetly go to the proshop because they can give you hand's on lesson's on how to set your bow up to fit you correctly so that you don't get frusturated trying to do it all yourself since your a beginner. It's also nice to have the use of the range so that your able to practice ,and there will alway's be someone around to help you out in your time of need .Sure buying package's off line can be very affordable but you don't get the proper help with the bow that you'll need to know when setting it up for yourself. BowTech is a great company as well as Hoyt, but I think that the Tomcat is a very affordable price for you . Next year when you decide whether you like shooting your bow ,you will be able to upgrade with better gear as your able to afford it ,like a new sight,today and a new rest next month or maybe even a new bow . Good luck with buying a new bow .Also welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask question's whether you feel that they might be stupid or not because we've all had to start somewhere .

nubo

Quick Reply: New to bowhunting and the forum!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.